Monday, October 12, 2020

Holidays and keeping busy

 Today is a holiday of sorts, Indigenous People's Day.  It used to be Columbus Day but they changed it.  I am sure some of my Italian- American friends are having a stink about it.  They do not tell you what a jerk Columbus was, that he did not "find" North America- he didn't make it this far and it was here all along and how come things are only "found" when white men find them anyway.


Ugh.  Columbus was a jerk.  His crew mutinied for goodness sakes.  He  got lost a lot.  We need to stop worshiping the myth.  


I am home and I am going to get off the computer for  a while.  I have stuff to do.  I have to make my final decisions on the ballot and decide if I am dropping it in the box by the Library or waiting and voting on my day off in person.  I have already decided who I am voting for for the main offices ( big shocker, huh?) but I need to look at the propositions to see which way to vote.  I need down time to do that.


I made granola and granola bars this morning,  It's fairly easy, I just need about an hour uninterrupted to do it.  I might make beer bread in a bit.  it's cooler and fall brings out the baker in me.  I love to make food!

I finished my ARC commitment yesterday and am waiting for another assignment.  So far, four of the five books have been good.  I did not finish, therefore did not review the last book, the Warriors by Glen Lazar Roberts.  Here is my take on it, I only got about 50 pages before I gave up and  I TRIED for three days.  Disjointed, it hops from cliché to cliché with no real purpose.  The lead character is a lesbian Roller derby queen.  I think Mr Roberts has never met an actual lesbian and is working from the vantage point of a junior high school boy.  It's supposed to be Science fiction mixed with satire- ala Christopher Moore.  It missed the mark.  Avoid it ( and if you read it and it tickles you, do let me know what I missed about it.  The fact that the former lover of the lead character was a Sasquatch and she supposedly was a "professor at UCLA" of some stupid thing or another, just made me give up.  It sounded very junior high.  When I was in high school, we wrote a collective story about an alien who came to earth and opened a chain of hamburger stands.  It was better than this.


I am avoiding watching the news and hoping at least two Republicans will grow a pair or get a vagina. I can't stand this.  the election can't come soon enough and I hope the idiot loses, even as they try their best to cheat their way in.  FAKE election boxes?   I hope their people place their ballots there in droves.


sigh.

1 comment:

  1. Aliens who came to earth and opened a chain of hamburger stands. I like it. For fun, you might try the film
    "Poultrygeist: the Night of the Chicken Dead (2006)" The plot is (Robyn, I am NOT making this up, although I wish I had)
    Zombified chickens attempt to kill the fast-food workers that cook then in a restaurant built on an ancient Indian burial ground. Because I can tell you rally want to know, the theme is military, and the chain is called "The American Hicken Bunker."
    As far as Columbnus Day, I am retired and unemployed, so they are all holidays and weekends to me, but I did protest in a White male Euro-centric way by considering having lunch at an Italian restaurant in Eagle rock called "Columbo's!" Yeah, I am a real radical.
    Voting. The fake voting drop offs are merely the latest attempt to ruin the election, because trump-turd must know he cannot win on his own "merits." And do NOT get me started on the "hearings" and little Miss Priss Amy. WHO refuses to answer questions. BAH!'
    Tom

    ReplyDelete

Comment Away, but please be respectful!