Monday, November 30, 2020

Unblocking the block

 It's post Thanksgiving, my writer's block has been severe and the only way to get out of it is to TRY to write something.  


Bear with me.


I have been struggling, like the rest of the nation, with the restrictions from Covid, the horrid behavior of ONE of the candidates for the highest office of the land and the actions of those who support him.  it is wearying at the least.  Like most people, I can't do the things that cheer me up and if I see one more holiday commercial where there are random people celebrating together , I am going to lose it.  

I need to read more.  Chris bought me a kindle and I finally figured out how to load it.  I signed up to be a reader for ARCs and some of the books are wonderful and some I struggle to get through.   I TRIED to read a book called "The Warriors" about a lesbian roller derby queen who is also some kind of professor at UCLA.  ummmm.  Turns out the book was number three in the series which sort of explains why they assumed you knew the characters but really it was just badly written.  It jumped from one stupid situation to another, loaded with clichés and misogyny.   It was almost like a thirteen year old boy had written it.  For the record, I think the author has it in for lesbians.  NO One is likeable or even interesting ( let's face it Hannibal Lecter wasn't likeable but he was interesting enough to keep you reading, amIright?)


This time of year, everyone slows down and counts their blessings.  I am trying to do that and come up with a list of small things I am thankful for- other than the obvious.  So, here goes


Space heaters- I have one at my feet in the kitchen and it warms my toes when I am writing.

Quiet mornings

Coffee

a good night's sleep ( I rarely get them these days, so when I do I am thankful)


I will think of more later this week, I hope.  What small thing makes your life better?



1 comment:

  1. Glad to see a new column. So much has been happenening lately, I was surprised not to see more pithy commentary.
    BUT!
    Small things: (some of which are really large things)
    YES, waking up when I feel like it in the morning refreshed!
    WITH two cuddly, snuggly cats on or next to me, keeping me warm.
    Surprise calls or emails from friends.
    Yesterday I was smiling a lot because I found a prescription refill that I had been worried about! HOORAY!
    Big one, really: I am here! I am well!
    Another good thing: A new column from you! (HINT HINT!)
    Tom

    ReplyDelete

Comment Away, but please be respectful!