Friday, May 22, 2015

Back at work

I am still working on the blog about my vacation.  We had a splendid time.  My husband is the perfect companion and I love traveling with him and his Mom.  We're all pretty easygoing.  I could have used another week off, because I came back to a full inbox and a slew of stressors.

So.. yesterday, while I was working on a solution to a longstanding problem that I have tried everything to fix, I get a call from the new head of the Guild's Health and Safety Committee.  He had already talked to my co-worker who was picking up my emergencies while I was gone and she had a detailed accounting of what I had done and what the Department had done about the issue.  He called me to ask what I was doing about it as well, and when I told him, he snottily said "Good.  I wanted to know if you were doing anything for OUR people"  His tone implied that it was an us-and- them situation and I was one of "them"  I said "They're MY people too, Jeff" and he said something like "well ok then, keep me posted."   I was insulted.  This is the second time in the past week or so that someone has accused me of not doing my job properly.  It got me to thinking about whether I am doing my job properly or if people just have unreasonable expectations.  It also got me thinking about all those people who work in jobs where people only notice when it isn't done.   When was the last time I thanked someone for doing a good job at a "thankless" job?  The cashier in the grocery store?  The custodian?  Security?  The counter person at the coffee spot?  Today I will try to thank someone for doing their job and to remember how much I appreciate what other people do that makes my life easier.  In the mean time, I will try my best to do what it is I do and not to take offense at the few people who want to complain about me.

1 comment:

  1. Ever since I became aware of you,, sometime in the very early 90's, I knew you were one of THE people to whom I could go and be helped. NEVER EVER worry that you are not doing a good job - he was just a jerk (I don't know him but he is a jerk!)
    Your point is well taken though - I do try to be nice to people, but today I promise I will go out of my way and at least smile and say thanks to someone helping me.
    See? Not only a new column (FINALLY!) but an inspiration!
    Welcome back!
    Tom

    ReplyDelete

Comment Away, but please be respectful!