Monday, April 16, 2018

Childhood books

Somewhere on Facebook, someone posted the following question:

What book or books make you think of your childhood

hmmm,

Now, I remember reading "Where the Wild things are" an awful lot, but I think the question is really about what we call "chapter books" so I have been thinking about that.  I loved the Carolyn Haywood "Betsy" books, about a little girl who lived somewhere on the east coast who had normal east coast adventures.  It was like reading letters from a friend, more than anything else.  Haywood also wrote about a boy named "Eddie" but I don't remember reading them or if I did, I guess I didn't really relate to Eddie so he didn't stick with me.  I remember - and I could be wrong- that when I started reading the Betsy books, my sister was a bit miffed as if Betsy were HER discovery and I couldn't read them.  I was an early reader and started chapter books fairly early, so it MIGHT have been I was taking them from HER stash of books.  We were ONLY allowed ( by our mother) five books every two weeks from the Library.  I think it's how she kept track of how many books we had and how many had to go back.  I would have checked out a LOT more, if she had let me.  I remember re-reading some, while I waited for the due date and our return visit.

I remember the "Little House Books" played a big part in my childhood too.  The adventures of Laura and her family as they moved across the American West were thrilling and strange.  Laura would have been considered a bit of a tomboy, as I was, and sometimes my friends and I acted out the books.  I remember years later someone claimed that her daughter Rose Wilder Lane actually wrote the books ( I think it was Rose herself) but if you read Rose's writing and the "Little House" books, there is a distinct "voice" in both and Rose's work is NOT the same.  I loved the Little House books, but didn't really watch the tv series of the same mane.  meh.  As in most things, the books were better.

I remember a fairly unknown book by Sally Watson called "Highland Rebel" about a girl caught up in a feud between two clans, in the Scottish Highlands, the Campbells and the Camerons.  Lauren, the main character was brave and stupid all at the same time and I loved her.  I longed for other books featuring her adventures, but alas, this was a "one-off"This was probably my favorite chapter book, hands down.

So, chime in.  What books remind you of YOUR childhood?

2 comments:

  1. Johnny Tremaine, Charlotte's Web, all of the Little House Books too, Nancy Drew, the Hardy Boys, Wind in the Willows, and Treasure Island are just some of what I remember right now. I, too, was an early reader and between the old Reseda public library and a little library on site at my Catholic elementary school, I read everything I could get my hands on! Always more interested in the adventure stories, :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My cousins Mark and Joanie and I traded the Nancy Drew books like crazy, but for some reason, we weren't so crazy about the Hardy Boys, and those Bobbsy Twins were just noo namby pamby. I also was quite taken with Doctor Doolittle. Now they are considered racist, and have been"revised." BAH! As a VERY young reader, I had a collection of those Little Golden Books. Some Disney versions - I was in love with Snow White; broke my little 5-year old heart when I learned she was not a real person. (I was loyal, but apparently not too bright) I was a stalwart supporter of the Temple City Public Library, and in fact, because of that experience, here I am, a librarian! Tom

    ReplyDelete

Comment Away, but please be respectful!