Monday, March 11, 2019

THAT song

My FB friend, Marissa, posted recently about how the song "Ventura Highway" gave her the "push" to get out of a bad employment situation.  She specifically says the lines about "the free wind blowing thru my hair" made her realize that she needed to get out and change her life.

I think everyone has a song or a poem like that in their lives.  Mine is Solsbury Hill, by Peter Gabriel. I think I read somewhere that he wrote this about leaving the wildly successful band Genesis to become a solo artist.  It was a hard choice for him, but he recognized his unhappiness and made the break.

I was going through an impossible situation at work.  I was working for Parking Enforcement.  My supervisors were insensitive at best and misogynistic at worst.  Some of the office staff complained that I was not answering the phones and making coffee.  I was NOT assigned to answer the phones or to make the coffee ( although I DO make a damn fine pot of coffee)  I was an analyst.  My office mate was a man and the perception that was allowed to continue was that I was his secretary.  Now, please understand that I had been clerical and that job is just as important in getting things done but it was NOT the job I was hired for nor what the City was paying me for.  They would come into the office looking for "the analyst" I would reply I was the analyst, but they preferred to "wait for Jeff"  I had been doing the job longer than Jeff at this point.  He did nothing to help me, either.  He would take the car and disappear for the better part of the day, leaving me to deal with officers and staff and ... everything.  The supervisors played tricks on me.  It was NOT pleasant.  Finally, my roving supervisor came to "Discipline" me about not answering the phones.  I exploded, telling him JEFF didn't answer the phones.  He said Jeff didn't have to.  "WHY?" I shouted "BECAUSE HE'S MALE????"  He shrugged.  I told him "look, you don't want me here and I don't want to be here.  Write me a good evaluation And I will get out of here." Seriously I had designed a tracking system for complaints that was pre-computer days AND  I had developed a good working relationship with representatives from the Mayor's Office and local Council reps. I was DOING my job, I just wasn't deferential enough. "Otherwise" I continued " I will have the Union crawling all over this place."   He agreed with me.  I got a nice review and was out of there in a few months.  I went "home" to the Library, where I have been ever since.  

Hearing this song on the radio gave me the strength to look elsewhere and find my place. There have been days in those 32 years that I have not liked my job, but there has NEVER EVER been a day when I wished myself back in the Hell that was the Valley DOT office.  I worked with some nice folks there, but no, no and NO!

What song or poem or words of wisdom have done this for you?   
Climbing up on Solsbury Hill
I could see the city light
Wind was blowing, time stood still
Eagle flew out of the night
He was something to observe
Came in close, I heard a voice
Standing, stretching every nerve
Had to listen, had no choice
I did not believe the information
Just had to trust imagination
My heart going boom, boom, boom
"Son", he said, "grab your things, I've come to take you home"
To keep in silence I resigned
My friends would think I was a nut
Turning water into wine
Open doors would soon be shut
So I went from day to day
Though my life was in a rut
'Til I thought of what I'll say
Which connection I should cut
I was feeling part of the scenery
I walked right out of the machinery
My heart going boom, boom, boom
"Hey", he said, "grab your things, I've come to take you home"
(Hey, back home)
When illusion spin her net
I'm never where I want to be
And liberty she pirouette
When I think that I am free
Watched by empty silhouettes
Who close their eyes but still can see
No one taught them etiquette
I will show another me
Today I don't need a replacement
I'll tell them what the smile on my face meant
My heart going boom, boom, boom
"Hey", I said, "you can keep my things, they've come to take me home"
Songwriters: Peter Gabriel

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Away, but please be respectful!