Thursday, July 8, 2021

Thursday musings

I am not going to bore everyone with daily reports of my progress toward getting healthy   There is NOTHING worse than a convert to anything, as my Dad used to say; and while I don't consider myself a "convert" in any way, shape or form, I am on this journey to get better.  I am not really denying myself stuff- life is far to short to do that and I didn't sign up to be a Monk.  I am making better choices and decisions about my day to day doings.

I am about to get on the bike.  The new scale arrived yesterday, so it is my baseline, BUT I have lost four pounds from my last dr visit.  I didn't gain it all at once, so I am not going to lose it all at once.  Slow and steady wins the race.

I saw in the news The Former Guy "plans" to sue Facebook, Twitter and Youtube.   Yeah He PLANS it.  Want to bet he thinks he can settle out of court?  I think the "discovery" portion of the trial , the documentation as to WHY he was banned is going to be fascinating.  One of his minders needs to tell him the truth.  Can you imagine what they might be able to prove in court to provide backup for his banning? 

I think he is so used to suing small companies and having them settle that he doesn't realize they have  more money than he does and more lawyers as well.  It's going to be interesting if the courts even let him proceed with his claim.

I subscribe to the brilliant Heather Cox Richardson's blog "Letters from an American"   She has quite an extensive knowledge of history and politics and she lays it on the line.  On July 5, she said something that resonated

Biden recalled that the United States of America was based not on religion or hereditary monarchy, but on an idea: “We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all people are created equal, endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights—among them life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.” We have never lived up to that ideal, of course, but we have never abandoned it, either. Those principles, he said, “continue to animate us, and they remind us what, at our best, we as Americans believe: We, Americans—we believe in honesty and decency, in treating everyone with dignity and respect, giving everyone a fair shot, demonizing no one, giving hate no safe harbor, and leaving no one behind.”

I love the quote that we have never lived up to, but never abandoned the ideal that we are all created equal.  Yes, I know  and acknowledge we have a long way to go before that is true, but we have to hope and strive for it.  Probably not in my lifetime, but maybe in my grandkids time.  


Remaining hopeful and working toward a goal, whether it is racial equality or losing a few pounds is something  on my mind this morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Away, but please be respectful!