Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Tender is the Night

 I am trying to slog my way thru this book but am having limited success.  My loan expires on Saturday, can't renew e-books and my Kindles say I have six hours of reading time left.  

Do I stay up late, trying to make sense of the book or do I give up for the moment, place another hold in a week and see if I feel better about it?  I don't know but so far, my impression is:

Rosemary is hopeless, but it's not her fault.  Her mother is the model for another Momager I could name, marrying well but unsatisfied with wealth and seeking fame via her nubile daughter.  She encourages a liaison between her daughter and Dick Diver. ICK

Dick Diver is a quasi-Pedophile.  He's just gross, for all of Rosemary's fawning and sighing over his perfection, he turns my stomach.

Apparently, Dick is Fitzgerald, and he may have been portraying himself in a somewhat favorable light for the time but looking at it thru today's lens, I just want to throttle him. 

Hedonistic and downright mean, the idle rich are at their most obvious here and I haven't gotten past the first 1/4 of the book.

Does it get better, or am I wasting my time?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Away, but please be respectful!