Monday, September 24, 2012

Election Rant

I will try not to get TOO political, but this election is really wearing me out- and I'm not even involved!  The polarization is FAR greater than I can ever remember; I have voted in every election since I turned 18 and was a pretty politically aware child.  As a woman, I have always felt it was important to vote since we have only had the right to do so since 1920. Some say they only gave us that right because they thought we wouldn't use it or we would vote the way our husbands told us to.  Women are a major force in every election and this one is no different.  Women's health and reproductive rights have surged to the forefront in this election in a way I find disturbing.    I am concerned that my daughter and future generations of women will be negatively impacted by the decisions made if we as women don't speak up.   No, birth control is NOT about abortion, contraception is PREVENTION, but some people seem to think it's not right.  If contraception is not something YOU believe in then you have the right not to use it.  When do your beliefs become more correct than mine?  Why do you get to decide for me?

This campaign is getting downright nasty and it worries me when I read things like that minister in Kansas who was praying for Barack Obama's death?  EXCUSE ME?  How is that a Christian value?  He may not have noticed, but that would only result in Joe Biden becoming president, it would NOT accomplish any goal that I can think of.  Why are people so afraid of the election results that they are willing to change the rules of the game- like trying to get Obama off the ballot, claiming he wasn't born here.  He has provided all the documentation and STILL people grumble. Get over it.   The change in voter ID rules is crazy too.  Sure, you should provide some identification to vote, but to have to have a Government issued voter ID card?  I have worked the polls. That is going to be just insane and many people will be prevented form exercising their right to vote, because they don't have two forms of ID.  This is wrong in so many ways. 

That being said, I urge you to look at the PLATFORMS being presented by each party and see which one is closest to your vision.  What can you live with for the next four years.  Don't vote for the Black guy (or against the Black Guy) or for the Mormon (or against the Mormon either).  Vote the ideas.  Don't vote from fear, vote with hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Away, but please be respectful!