Friday, November 13, 2015

"war on Christmas"? I don't think so.




In response to a friends' copied post about how Christians are being "persecuted" and not allowed to celebrate their holiday I offered this:

No one is asking that Christians celebrate 'mas"   The "politically correct" folks who chide us for saying Merry Christmas are wrong,but so are the Christians who think that ONLY "Jesus is the reason for the season" The holidays encompass many different traditions,not JUST Christmas. Sometimes we forget that. There is Hanukkah and Solstice and Kwanzaa during December. People on both sides of the coin are quick to take offense these days. If someone wishes me "happy ... whatever holiday they celebrate" I thank them, because they consider me a friend enough to include me in their traditions. I do try to remember to wish friends who don't celebrate Christmas a happy ( whatever they celebrate) It's only kindness, I am not buying into the whole "war on Christmas" thing. Christmas has become a commercial enterprise, not a religious celebration of the birth of Christ. During December, take a moment to reflect ( as the Winter Holidays are meant for you to do) on the blessings in your life. Celebrate in your tradition and stop worrying that Christians are getting a bad deal. Look in ANY store after the 4th of July and you will see them gearing up for Christmas! The people who take "Christ" out of Christmas, in my opinion are THOSE people who have turned it into a nonstop guilt fest of gift giving and finding "the perfect gift". It's not Thanksgiving yet. I don't wish ANYONE "Merry Christmas until December.


As a Christian, I am getting sick of the extreme idiots getting out there in the press as if what they believe represents us all. The whole Starbucks cup thing is monumentally stupid. Bill O'Reilly felt his fame slipping away so he created this whole "There is a War on Christmas" maelstrom. that is getting his angry face all over the television again. Jesus must be so pleased. For me, Christmas is about remembering the year. I reflect on the blessings of my life, take time to thank my friends for being in my life. It's that simple. Christmas has become this commercial thing that strays from the religious aspect of it. I hate seeing all the Christmas things BEFORE HALLOWEEN. sheesh.

so, with that in mind, I wish you.. Happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

  1. I am trying to think of a way to be offended by your wishing me a happy Thanksgiving, but it's too early int he morning, and I've only had one cup of coffee (and it isn't Starbucks! WHICH I consider overpriced and too bitter, anyway!)
    I have to admit that the commercialization of Christmas saddens me. As a practicing Episcopalian (well, some Sundays) it bothers me that most people, even my own godchildren, don't even know there is any connection between Christmas and Jesus. BUT! Do I still shop like the expert I am? Do I still decorate (OK, some years - most years) - over decorate like the gay man I am? Do I spend money I don't have? Do I wear too much red? Hell to the yes! BUT I also like the whole process of writing to friends (and, to a lesser extent, cousins) far away. It keeps me in touch at least marginally with people. And my best gift to myself is that little quiet hour (and a half) when I attend Christmas morning service with a small group and we sing, and I get weepy - not the big production of Christmas Eve, which, let's face it, is a show rather than church - although the obligatory drunk is fun - but it's a small window when I can relax, connect with God, think about ye olden days
    when I was a kid with my Aunt Grace, especially. Oh, hell, I am getting misty-eyed now! Thanks, Robyn! Too many years I have gone to bed on the 25th and thought, DAMN, I missed it somehow again this year - and so I won't let it happen anymore.
    Read "A Christmas Carol," it can't hurt.
    Tom
    P.S. Happy Thanksgiving, Robyn and Chris!

    ReplyDelete

Comment Away, but please be respectful!