Monday, October 2, 2017

Lack of sleep and other assorted ramblings

It's NOT sleep apnea.

I have been tested for sleep apnea so many times it's not funny.  I'm getting tired of the testing, but I'm tired of being tired.  Tired or relying on coffee and catnaps to get through the day.  I GO to sleep, I'm just not sleeping deeply.  It's probably the pain that is keeping me from deep sleep so I am on the surface of sleep but not down in the healing sleep my body so greatly needs.

I take as MUCH of the medication as I feel I should.  It's tricky.  My surgeon wants me OFF the medicine before he will do the surgery.  The pain is ridiculous. Yesterday Chris and I went to Ikea to get bookcases for the spare room. These don't have to be the lovely lawyers style cases I have downstairs. I recently bought one at a yard sale so I have THREE downstairs ( I know.. I know...)  I need to get my spare room in order before the holiday season gets here.  It's a disaster

Off Topic, does anyone know an upholsterer who can tell me, Honestly, if my grandmother's chair is worth repairing?   It is in a horrible state of disrepair and my husband says I have to let it go, but some of my best memories of her are tied to that piece of furniture.  I am torn,

Anyway the new Ikea in Burbank is even more convoluted in layout than the last one was.  You have to snake around the entire floor to get to things you need. There is ONE PATH. We found the bookcases that were the right size and the right color fairly quickly once we actually found the Room o' Bookcases. I was also looking for chairs, but Chris could go no further and sat down on one of the display chairs- they don't get mad when you do that so it was ok.  I found some nice chairs to replace our dining room chairs which are falling into disrepair and cannot be fixed.  I need nicer ones for the holidays.  I am thinking about the holidays with a mixture of joy and sadness as most people of my age certainly must. I miss my family and will need to do something about it all very soon.  Visits in the works if I can swing the time.

Chris and I managed to wrangle the boxes with the bookcases in them onto the  flat cart.  Remember this is IKEA so most of the stuff is DIY. I read a sign that said they will assemble it and deliver it, but it was more than the cost of all three bookcases put together so... no.  When we got to the elevator I hit my own wall and cried out in pain.  A very nice couple asked if they could help. I was embarrassed, but took their offer.  There was NO WAY Chris and I could have done this without them.  They cheerfully took over, rolling the cart to our car and loading them boxes inside.   I must have said "thank you" a hundred times.   I was practically crying, I was so grateful.  Whoever they are, I hope something amazing and wonderful happens for them. They were so very kind.

When we got home, our friend and neighbor Gary got them out of the car and into the house.  They will sit in the living room until I can get the upstairs room and the boxes out of the way.  Most of the boxes are books, I think, so if we wan get the bookcases assembled and up the stairs and into the area where they need to be it will be wonderful

3 comments:

  1. Tom will certainly know an upholsterer, give him a call. Sorry to hear you are in so much pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I DO know an upholsterer! Gee, Pauline, two minds with but half a brain - NO, I mean, with but a single thought...................I will send you upholster details privately.
    I found the old IKEA confusing enough, although of course, that didn't keep me from spending a lot of money (or as my parents used to say "beaucoup bucks" - although pronounced as "Boo-Koo") so this one wouldl doubtless terrify me!
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother has an upholsterer she liked. I've emailed her for the info.

    ReplyDelete

Comment Away, but please be respectful!