Sunday, May 26, 2019

Am I too sensitive?

I think so, yes I am.  Often I overreact and I KNOW I am doing it.  I am working on , shrugging and saying "whatever"


Tonight We invited a couple to join us for dinner tomorrow evening.  As I had just done a boatload of grocery shopping, I thought dinner here would be nicer, more relaxing. The last few forays at places have been not as relaxing as I had wished and I have an anxiety filled week ahead ( more on THAT in a later post- maybe).  I offered to make my ( world-famous)  Spaghetti and meatballs.  Apparently the wife is on a no carb diet.  I asked what she COULD eat ( if you have eaten here you know that is my M.O.- I ask what you can eat and what you WON'T eat if I invite you to my home.)

She said no.  I couldn't make the food she could eat and she would bring her own.

We are going OUT to dinner instead, but I am wounded!  I consider myself to be a pretty fair cook and I think I could have rustled up a meal that met her dietary needs (the Mediterranean place we are going is NOT that complicated.)

Sigh

So.  Weigh in. Is this an insult or am I being overly sensitive here?  I can't even think about making a meal for half the guests and have someone bring something she picked up at the local "takeout" because I could not understand her dietary needs.

4 comments:

  1. I believe you are missing the part about the language barrier. It's not that you can't make what she can eat, it's that she can't tell you what that is. Maybe it's also not a specific "diet" but more of what she feels is healthier for her, who knows. You ARE a wonderful cook, and I will eat anything you make, within reason (cauliflower and broccoli are out) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Chris, I will eat cauliflower and broccoli! And, no, Robyn, you are not being too sensitive, but I do feel this trend towards having one's host(ess) calculate differently for each guest has gone way too far! Tom
    P.S. But I still would not have nuts around if you were dining here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I taylor the menu for EVERYONE and serve a nice meal with everyone's needs in mind, so everyone gets the same thing. Seriously. It isn't that hard to do- for me- as I love a cooking challenge ( although I am NOT going to be going on "Chopped" any time soon)

    Speaking of dinner, let's check calendars. I am having the new knee installed on July 9 and will NOT be making anything for a while after that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okey dokey. I will bring the cauliflower and broccoli, and leave the assorted nuts (legume variety!) at home!

      Delete

Comment Away, but please be respectful!