Sunday, November 17, 2019

Birth and death and things in between.


My second grandson, Mason Edward, arrived earlier than expected.  Mommy and baby are doing fine and the family dynamic is changing to include the new little guy.

Over the past several months I have been to several "memorial services" or "celebrations of life"  The most recent was yesterday, a former co-worker,  Kathryn Carr who was almost 100 ( she was NOT as some claimed 101, having been born in 1920 and even THIS English major could do the math.)

Funerals and such ceremonies are for the living.  I have been to these services where it was apparent that the officiant did not know or care to know anything about the person that was being laid to rest.  They were just out trying to get people to join their congregation.

Yesterday's service was nice, some funny recollections of  Mrs Carr ( strangely no mention EVER of a MR. Carr)   and it was good to sit among old friends and catch up and reminisce.

So often we gather together at these things and say "we must get together" and often we try but never do.  Some of these folks I keep up with on Facebook, and I hope to have a long lunch with one of the retirees and will make an effort to do so.

Sometimes the ritual can be comforting.  I don't know if I came away with anything in particular.   I did find this coincidence interesting:

One of the passages read was the one from Ecclesiastes 3 ( to everything there is a season)  On the way HOME  I heard the Byrds song based on those verses.

Was God trying to hammer home something?

I am currently going through a difficult time with an organization I have been involved with.  A group of people , either accidentally or intentionally, have made accusations that  I feel have besmirched my character and impugned my good name.  I say accidentally, because it IS possible that in their desire to take control, they did not think of the implications of the implied accusation of wrongdoing on the part of a committee I chair.  I am upset, to say the least.  I try to be as honest as I possible can be and that may be my undoing. 

So I wonder and will talk to someone I trust, it it time for THIS season to end or is there still work I have promised that must be done.  In any case, my heart is heavy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Away, but please be respectful!