Friday, April 15, 2016

Invisibility is my super power at Amusement parks

I went to Disneyland last weekend for a three day excursion with my kids and my Bob.  It was really all about hanging with my Bob.  He loves Mickey Mouse and was so happy to see him. Unlike his mother who was terrified of Mickey at two, Bob waved and cried when he had to leave Mickey.

I have severe osteoarthritis. This means walking any distance is painful.  I can do short bursts and I am starting Physical therapy today to see what can be done to relieve that, BUT the thought of trying to walk around Disneyland for three days made me sick.  So, I rented a mobility scooter.  It made a world of difference in my experience.  HOWEVER, I realized I became even more invisible to people than a "woman of a certain age" already is. I can't tell you how many people LOOKED at me and stepped in front of my rolling red machine, including a little girl to whom I called "watch out" and her Mama-bear screamed "YOU watch it lady!"   I can see where the child got her manners.  One day that child will step in front of a bus because her mother didn't teach her any sense.   The "horn" on those things is this polite little "beep" that is no louder than a whisper. It needed one of those "Ah-oo-ga" truck horns.  Next time, Disneyland, next time.

Disneyland is fairly ADA friendly and I didn't have much trouble, but remember I am ambulatory and I can walk with my cane, and sometimes without the cane.  I am trying to get stronger.  I have lost a bit of weight and that helps .  This weekend gave me a taste, albeit a small one, of what people who live with disabilities must experience.   The "cast members" at Disneyland couldn't have been more helpful and I did get on most of the rides I wanted to without a hitch- the kids decided the wait for the Matterhorn was too long, but this was Day 3 and I think we were all tired.  Three days at Disneyland is one too many. Hard to believe but it is!

I want to go back. I will map it out better and really hit the rides and experiences I want to.  I realize I will probably still be invisible.  I wonder if I can bring an air horn with me.


1 comment:

  1. I am quite intrigued by the story of Mama Bear telling YOU to watch it - and, yes, alas (or perhaps not!) someday and probably sooner rather than later, that little girl will not be in the care of Mama Bear, and will end up with her ass in a sling. It is all of a piece with this big thing of no personal responsibility. I guess that started with Adam and Eve, where Adam told God "SHE made me eat the apple," but it has certainly escalated. It is one of my particular bigaboos, so Iw ill try tor estrain myself, but is just so typified by that woman - I mean, there YOU are in the device, and it's OK for that little brat-in-training to get right in front of you, but YOU must be the one to "watch out." Sigh. I would have advised hitting the kid or even running her over repeatedly, but then, sad to admit, YOU would have been the bad guy. To end on a happy note, at least you have the comfort of knowing that eventually, she will get run over by a car or even a big truck or bus. Something to smile about.
    Tom

    ReplyDelete

Comment Away, but please be respectful!