Saturday, January 30, 2021

Pandemic thoughts

 LAPL ( where I work) has a  collection growing of things associated with the pandemic, a history file for future generations and possibly  historians who might want to see what people were thinking at the time.  I Want to contribute something, so over the next day or so, I will try to jot down what life is like, for one person, living in Los Angeles.


We first heard about the virus in February, I guess.  45 ( please note, gentle reader that I will not refer to the person in charge, one Donald John Trump, by any honorific.  45 will have to do)  there was a  cruise ship loaded with sick people and he WOULD NOT LET THEM OFF THE SHIP.  There is a news clip somewhere, where he says he "likes his numbers where they are" as if people suffering could be reduced to a number on a page.  This should have been a warning an an indicator or what was to come from his administration, but we were so used to outrageous  statements, it kind of flew under the radar.  HE said it would disappear.

It didn't.  It got worse.

Somewhere in the beginning of March, we started hearing that things would need to shut down, so that we would not spread the virus.  There was no vaccine and it spread quickly and a lot of people were dying.  We watched as people became ill and died for lack of equipment.  We heard pleas from New York and  Governor Cuomo for help for the Federal Government, but none came.  The way is seemed to play out was 45 was withholding aid because the majority of the people of New York did not vote for him ( that's how I see it and since I think 45 is a petty little man, you won't convince me otherwise.)

Our City leaders took action and closed things up.  I thought- silly me- that we would quarantine for three weeks and get it under control.  Sadly, the leadership of this country was not on board with any shut down, because, you know, he's a Business man  and a Science Denier.  So his followers refused to participate.  They refused to close, they refused to mask and they believed him when it said it was just another flu.

And people died.

I left my workplace around March 18, with the tools and equipment to work form home.  I am lucky, my type of work can be done anywhere with a computer and a telephone.  The I-pad  I was assigned turned out not to work so well and I invested in a laptop to supplement my desk top.

There was a run on the grocery store.  People panicked.  They hoarded, of all things, toilet paper.  It was, to use one of my Dad's expressions as scarce as hen's teeth. No idea why.  Hand sanitizer was also gone. Opportunists came out of the woodwork. There was this guy who took his kid's college fund and bought ALL the hand sanitizer he could find then tried to sell it online for super inflated prices.  There is actually a law against that in some states and they shut him down.  He was whining and crying on social media.  I don't feel sorry for him.  He tried to profit from someone else's misery and deprived others in his greed. Some people.(Can you hear me shaking my head?)  I must admit I bought more coffee than I normally would have, because I am not a nice person when not properly caffeinated. 

Meat was scarce too for a bit and I was in my freezer and my pantry like I was on an episode of "Chopped" ( a television show where chefs are given a basket of sometimes whacky ingredients from which they must make a gourmet meal or they are "Chopped' from the competition )  Some of the things I created are now part of my recipe base, so something good came from it.

I grabbed a bunch of books to read, thinking I would have time now that I was going to be working at home and there would be no commute.  I was wrong.  Not only did I work harder from home, the stress took away my ability to focus on anything that required prolonged concentration.  Other readers say the same thing.  I started listening to books when I could and that helped a bit.  I actually MISS my commute.  Follow the bouncing ball of my logic here.  I would drive in to work, about an hour in the morning.  I would listen to music or a book and organize my thoughts for work for the day.  At work, it would be whatever work was- sometimes super busy, sometimes just getting stuff done. Then I would drive home.  I would shed the workday on my way home and when I GOT home, it was about family or friends- anything but work.  Now I come downstairs, make coffee and I am in my office. It is here 24/7.  I don't have the luxury of a spare room that can be an office.  So I don't get the "break" between work and home.   I miss my office, I miss Central Library, where I work, I miss my "Annoying"( JUST KIDDING) co-workers.  I HATE Zoom meetings.  I feel like I am in a bad sitcom It always reminds me of the Brady Bunch opening when the tiles with the faces of people swap around as they pop into the room.

In an effort to keep my writing chops up, I tried and FAILED to keep my blog going.  Some days I just got sucked into mindless games on social media.  I did sign up to review books and that has lead me to find some good authors whose books I might not otherwise have found.

As of this moment, the adults are back in charge of the government, and I am hopeful for the rollout of vaccines.  There are still anti vaxers and anti maskers and people who think the whole thing is a hoax perpetrated by the Democratic Party to make 45 look bad.  Honey, he didn't NEED any help in that department.    If he had listened to the scientists instead of making this a political game where he got even with his enemies he MIGHT have been elected to a second term. But I digress into politics far too often, it is something I have always done.  I will say that people in this country voted in record numbers in this election and the next generation turned out in droves, so I have hope.

People are stating to get the vaccine and we are slowly moving toward a "new normal" whatever that is.  But for now, I miss dinners with friends in my home, HUGGING people and going.. anywhere.  Being "careful" means none of the things that gave me such joy are not possible right now.  I wait for the vaccine and for the virus to die off.

I live in hope.

1 comment:

  1. I am trying to recall the earliest days. I knew "something" was going on that was bad for your health. I remember going to a lunch buffet on Tuesday, March 10, and there was still a buffet, but the servers had to serve you (in plastic gloved hands) The next night I went out to dinner with my bestie and later joked that has we known this was the Last Supper, we might have chosen a better place than Coco's. Thursday, march 12 I worked at the Hollywood Branch that evening and was asked to announce at closing that as of Friday, no public computer access. Guess how well THAT went over. Very late Friday evening, the Hollywood Area assistant called and asked if anyone had let me know not to come in Saturday (naturally, no one had) AND THAT was the end of my subbing. At first they told me Id be back by May 1, June 1 tops. Sunday March 15 I went to church thinking they might shut down, I'd better go while I could. Hardly anyone there. No processional, no choir, no Communion. People spaced apart and elbow-bumping. But no masks yet. AND that was my last weekend of semi-normal. I can remember what I wore to work on the 12th, and what I wore to church on the 15th. WHY? Because since then, I have not dressed "up." That tie is getting pretty dusty. But I plan to wear it again whenever I can go back to church - I have lots (and lots!) of others, but that one to symbolize. It's a strange life here. This has become the normal. I have had my first shot, so like you, Robyn, I live in hope. There is a normal, decent pair in charge now, so perhaps our lives will get better. Sooner rather than later.
    Tom

    ReplyDelete

Comment Away, but please be respectful!