Sunday, August 2, 2015

Book by it's cover

I am still working on my book reading list challenge.  One was " A book picked solely by it's cover."  I know the old adage,but I was in the Popular Library WITHOUT my glasses, so I picked up a book with an actress who may or may not have been Carole Lombard on the cover.  The print on the back was SO SMALL ( it was an audio book) I just checked it out.

"A Touch of Stardust" by Kate Alcott, follows Julie Crawford, a girl with a Smith College education from a "good family" in the Midwest, as she tries to make it as a screenwriter  in Hollywood in 1939.  Along the way, she meets a cast of characters, including Clark Gable and Carole Lombard.  The main action centers around the making of Gone with the Wind" and the coming of war in Europe.   The book is part drama, part romance, part historical fiction.  I liked it, for the most part but the ending seemed flat.  I won't reveal what happens, but it's kind of a cop-out in my opinion.  There is even an epilogue, which does even less to resolve the bad ending.  It's a decent "beach read" and I would have recommended it but the ending was wimpy.  I liked some of the real life characters enough to look them up and am reading Frances Marion's book on Hollywood.  Interesting stuff, from a true "insider" of the golden age of Hollywood. Funny you almost never hear about women screenwriters from that era, although there were apparently a lot of them.  This book will probably lead me to reading more about the era from pieces from that time.  I like it when something I am reading piques my curiosity in that manner.  I am going to see what I can find of the writings of Louella Parsons, who features strongly in this book.  From everything I have heard, she was a real bitch, but I wonder what her motivation was.

I am wading through the list and now need a book by an author under 30.  Any suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. Besides Frences Marion, there was Vina Del Mar, whow rote the screen play for my all time favorite movie, "The Awful Truth" (1937, Irene Dunne, Cary Grant - nominated for six Oscars, won for best directing)
    Del Mar wrote on into the early 70's - did novels by then - very depressing and cynical.

    ReplyDelete

Comment Away, but please be respectful!