Saturday, May 14, 2016

Decisions

I cried at work yesterday.  Someone I truly love and respect went off on a rant at me, and although it was not really my fault, it sort of was and I just started to cry.  I'd like to be able to say that I love my job, but I no longer do.  I love certain aspects of it, but this week I have been waking up feeling like Martin Sheen at the beginning of Apocalypse Now.  "Tuesday. it's only Tuesday"  It was a long week and I am feeling overwhelmed.  Here in a nutshell is what my job entails.

 I am the facilities manager for 72 aging libraries.  This is a never ending battle to keep the facilities in a condition where we can keep the doors open.  I have three people I report to who give me assignments. This is on top of my already frantic pace of trying to handle building repair requests and emergency calls. I monitor the condition of the burglary alarms. I handle problems with custodial.  I have been working with GSD on a variety of repair projects.  This week we closed two branches due to emergency maintenance issues.  I don't mean to complain but our department has always been woefully understaffed. The police department, for instance, at one time had  five people taking care of their buildings and they have a lot less of them. I've been frantically jumping all week- working a little late each day to complete something so it won't be waiting to pounce on me in the morning.   I need to step back an evaluate what I am doing.  Chris says the job is killing me.  He may be a wee bit dramatic but I see his point.  Part of my problem is that by my nature, I care about things and people to a degree I should not.  I have always brought love to whatever I do.  Work doesn't give love back, does it? I love my library colleagues; my peeps, as one of my co workers calls them.   I WANT to make life better for them by doing what I do.  Yesterday's rant made me feel as if I had failed them somehow.

I put in for a transfer.

A friend who retired told me the job she was leaving would be perfect for me and I talked to the person in the department who explained the job. He tried to tell me it was a high stress job, but I don't know if it really is.  He was stressing deadlines and media. I don't know if I really want to take on a new assignment at this point in my life.  Realistically I have two to three years left, unless I win the lottery or the Publishers Clearinghouse sweepstakes in which case ALL bets are off.  I will take the interview if it is offered and see where it leads. I will trust my instincts, open my senses, and decide.  I had always envisioned finishing my career at the Library, now I am not so sure.  Over the next few days, I will meditate on this, pray on this and try to get an answer for myself.  People will give me advice which I will take into account, but in the end, the person who makes the decision for me is ME. I have to trust that ultimately I know what is best for me.  I'm the one who has to live the decision 24/7.  At this point, I just don't know and won't until if and when I interview.   I haven't interviewed in twenty-nine years. That ought to be interesting. I was never very good at it.   I have changed in that time since my last interview.  I am much better at speaking my mind in pressure situations than I once was.

I need to figure out where I want to be and how I am going to get there. The path seems to have forked and I don't know which one to take.

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, 
And sorry I could not travel both 
And be one traveler, long I stood 
And looked down one as far as I could 
To where it bent in the undergrowth; 

Then took the other, as just as fair, 
And having perhaps the better claim, 
Because it was grassy and wanted wear; 
Though as for that the passing there 
Had worn them really about the same, 

And both that morning equally lay 
In leaves no step had trodden black. 
Oh, I kept the first for another day! 
Yet knowing how way leads on to way, 
I doubted if I should ever come back. 

I shall be telling this with a sigh 
Somewhere ages and ages hence: 
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I— 
I took the one less traveled by, 
And that has made all the difference.

Maybe Frost has a point.  I am wondering which road to take.  I need to choose the one that is right for me.  I am still struggling to figure that out.  I may be putting the cart before the horse and they won't want to interview me.  Time will tell.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I can only comment (and you KNOW I would!) as someone who's work life you made so much easier so many times over the years, and as someone who knows some of these people, and as someone who is retired.
    In general, it never hurts to at least interview. If you don't even do that, well, then, no way in hell can you ever get a job. Also, you (OK, "one") should not stick to preconceived ideas - such as you always envisioned where you would end up in your career - but things change, and "one" must change, too. Finally, lucky for you, you have Chris in your life and you can talk to him about things. SO do that, think hard at least until Monday (well, one really must over the weekend) and I know you will come to a good decision!
    Tom

    ReplyDelete

Comment Away, but please be respectful!