Thursday, July 23, 2020

Coffee in the morning.

I have no idea for today's blog so I am going to start by thinking about my Pandemic routine vs what I used to do, back i the Olden days.

I get up MUCH later now, as my "commute" is only about thirty seconds vs the good hour it used to take.  Frankly, I miss my car.  I miss my music or my book on cd.  I miss the gearing up for my day.  I used to use the time in the car to organize my workflow and plan what needed to be done.  Now?  I amble down the stairs, half awake , make a pot of Sumatra and plunk down in the chair.   It's early so I can check in with my friends, and do whatever "Housekeeping" needs to be done, either online or actual organization in my kitchen.  I used to get things into the crock-pot for dinner.  Now I sort of look in the pantry and see what I need to think about at the end of the day.  I don't do a lot of crock-pot cooking these days although I really should as it saves stress and keeps the house cooler.  I just don't have the inspiration.  I think being at home ALL THE FREAKING TIME has changed my mindset. 

I don't like it.


At all.



People say "Oh I LOVE working from home!" Not me.  when I WENT to work, my homelife was my homelife and my job was my job and while I had the  occasional late night phone call, work wasn't all over my tiny workspace.  I leave it the way it is right now, because rearranging my tiny area every day would be too time consuming.  I look forward to the day when I can return to work.  That may take some time.  I am super high risk, the medications I take for my asthma deplete my immune system.  There is talk about immuno-replacement and I am game, but with this stupid virus I don't know when that will be.

I'd like to say what I think about the virus, but the word I choose is an inelegant four letter one and I really would like to stay away from swearing today.

I miss the drive home.  Sure, rush hour, but the drive gave me time to decompress from what is a stressful job and switch gears to be the person I am in my home.  Slow down, unwind.  I used to plan meals in the car, or sometimes Chris and I would talk about grabbing a meal with friends.  I MISS friends in my home.  I haven't SEEN my shared wall neighbor in FOREVER,although we email and talk on the phone. His health is shaky as well.  We used to see each other every day and he would often join us for a meal or a snack and a chat. 

When all this is over, I am cooking EVERYTHING I can think of and calling everyone I know for a "Come over for a meal and a hug" extravaganza.  I hope they solve this soon, but it looks like my country will not be taking the lead, since we have a science denier in the White House.

November can't come soon enough.

1 comment:

  1. Cheer up, could be worse. We could be living in Portland, Oregon, which is truly frightening.
    Tom

    ReplyDelete

Comment Away, but please be respectful!