Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Weddings in the time of Covid

I woke up thinking about Princess Beatrice, of all people.  She got married over the weekend in a small sweet ceremony.  I think she may have wanted something grander, but her wedding has been put aside several times and I am sure she just wanted to get married.  She wore a dress her grandmother- the FREAKING QUEEN OF ENGLAND- loaned her. It looked very nice and she looked very happy, they posted some cute snaps from the day.

I see a lot of people getting married and it gives me hope. People getting married, having babies, we are NOT giving up.  Covid is still going strong in a lot of places and I worry, even though I see that there are fewer deaths as the medical community get the upper hand in the battle.  I also see that we probably won't have a Jonas Salk come from anywhere and GIVE the vaccine away.  Every nation is trying to get there first, not to save their people, but for bragging rights.  Big Phama all over the world will be looking for a HUGE payday.  Why do I fear that the poor in this country will not fare well in the vaccination and treatment of the disease?

But,as usual, I digress.

While I have been off and watching bad television on my time off from work ( which is another topic for another day)  I have noticed a trend in "reality" television( and if you think any of this is "reality" I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale)  Wedding-o-rama.  There is this one show, Called Four Weddings, which is a minor train wreck.  The "brides" compete for an "amazing honeymoon"  They all pretend to be BFF's while sniping each other behind their backs in critiquing each other's weddings in an effort to win the big prize.  I have seen some crazy ceremonies ( the wedding of the trapeze artists, where the bride descended from the ceiling and has Circus Circus like "entertainment" at  the reception, comes to mind)  There have been some incredibly tacky moments as the bride attempts to "provide the most amazing experience" for the guests.

What ever happened to celebrating love and commitment? 


It's like ALL those "Say yes to the Dress" shows; I love seeing the dresses, but I can't help but think a lot of the tears are staged for the camera.  And I swear, if I hear that song "Forever Now" one more time- isn't that a bit of an oxymoron and who says "yes" as part of their wedding vows anyway???

I won't even START with the replacement for the Jerry Springer show that is "90-day Fiance"   and although I get sucked into it,  "Married at First Sight"


Television and long distance photos of weddings are pretty much all I have these days.  I was HOPING to get to England for my cousin's wedding in October, but I am not sure what will happen. It's a good thing we didn't go, because of the flood at my house in 29.  I am still dealing with THAT and will update this blog when I have a clear solution, right now it's day by day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Away, but please be respectful!