Monday, December 23, 2013

Christmas Carols vs Seasonal songs

I have been trying to get my FALALALALA working and it's JUST NOT going anywhere.  But singing songs I consider Christmas songs got me to thinking; just how many songs we consider Christmas songs DON'T mention Christmas at all?

Jingle Bells.  We ALWAYS sing this at Christmas, but does it mention the holiday?  Nope.  Sing it for yourself.  I'll wait.....   SEE????   Why is it a "Christmas song" anyway?  it mentions snow and things that people who live in snow DO in the winter.  No Christmas, no baby Jesus, nada.

Winter Wonderland.  Not a whisper of anything remotely Christmas.

Frosty the snowman.  Sung by children at "Christmas" Concerts, but definately NOT a song about Christmas.

I like to think of Christmas songs as the ones I sung as a child in church, the "religious" part of the holiday.  I have been singing "The First Noel" and "Do you hear what I hear? , trying to get into the spirit of the season.  "Deck the Halls"  which celebrates the love and fellowship of the season has been playing in my head. YES I sing "don we now our GAY apparel"  lol.  Making the song PC and being afraid of the word GAY, for goodness sakes is just freaking crazy!

Christmas is TOMORROW ( we celebrate on Christmas Eve)  Am I ready?  NAH, but I will be as ready as I can be for the day. All of us here have had a small bout of something like the flu.  I slept for fourteen hours this weekend.  Stress, maybe?  I hope that's all it is.  I don't have TIME for the flu and I HAD my shot!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Away, but please be respectful!