Saturday, December 21, 2013

Wake Keeping

There was a wake keeping, a Nigerian tradition, last evening for my friend Ogechi Anum.  although she was not born into it, Ogechi embraced Nigerian culture and raised her three children well taught in the traditions of their father.

A group of us came from LAPL.  we were there at the appointed hour and the people just laughed and tried to instruct us on "Nigerian time"  It was lighthearted and I hope that the family knew that so many more of us wanted to be there.  We loved her.  She was the type of person you loved right away.  The minister did not seem to know her, but gave the sermon of Ruth and Naomi and applied it to her life.  They asked us to speak, but I just could not.  I loved that girl and as everyone seemed to be having warm, happy remembrances, I was afraid I would start to cry when I spoke.  Someone else did.  Here is what I would like to have said:

I knew Ogechi for about 15 years.  I met her when she became the Area Assistant in the Western Area Office.  She was always so up-beat, a good friend with a  great attitude.  She was shoulder to lean on.  Her children were her everything.  Family was everything to her.  No matter what disappointment life tossed at her, she never ever gave up, she had an indomitable spirit; she ALWAYS rose. It was fitting that she was born on Valentine's Day Those of us who loved her will miss her every day of our lives. I know I am better for having known her.

I am glad I went last night, although I did not get home until well after midnight.  It's hard when I had been up since about 5 yesterday morning.  I had to go to show love and respect for my friend and her family.  I think it was important that people knew the impact she had on her co-workers.  It was good to see her children, so grown up and strong.  They had her beautiful spirit, which shone through their eyes.  The room was full of love for her.  I am glad that I went.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Away, but please be respectful!