Monday, December 10, 2012

Christmas Traditions

I have begun my Christmas  baking, something my mother did every year.  It's hard to squeeze in the holiday baking along with long days at work and still being sick.  I saw my new doctor on Friday.  I like her ( whew!)  She talked to me about what is going on and she want to run more tests.  She gave me a new medication.  It is giving me very vivid nightmares.  UGH. I don't want to go back to sleep after one of them, so today might be interesting ( Coffee, work your magic)

My mom used to decorate the house at the first hint of December.   Me, not so much, and I really am having trouble getting into the holiday spirit.  Yesterday, I baked about 8 dozen chocolate chip cookies, five dozen oatmeal and four small fruit cakes.  I sugared the cranberries and will be baking cranberry bread this evening.  Maybe some more cookies.  I don't know how my mom did it all.  I wish she were here to ask.  The holidays are less bright without her, you know?

Still, I try my best to remember our traditions and bake and welcome our friends into our home.  I am looking forward to Christmas Day and dinner with friends.  I have to have Chris dig out MY favorite animated holiday special "A Wish for Wings that Work"  It's  Bloom County or Bill and Opus, but the message is good.  Opus wishes for wings that work, but finds that he alone has a special talent which will help to save Christmas.  Irreverent and sweet.  I enjoy it!  I have already seen "It's a Wonderful Life" too many times this year. The TV stations started showing it in the "One Movie Marathon"  I was talking about around Thanksgiving.  It makes it SO much less special when you run it into the ground that way.

Still, I hope the act of baking- if not the smell, as my sense of smell is on the fritz right now- will give me the Holiday spirit.  I am getting ready for the McGroarty Holiday Boutique this weekend.  Come on up and check it out. I usually work the bakesale.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Away, but please be respectful!