Monday, December 31, 2012

End of the Year

Remember when you were a kid and you struggled to stay awake until Midnight to welcome in the New Year.? Or when you were a twenty-something and you spent all day getting ready for the big party?  I guess I am just a boring old lady, because I am looking forward to doing NOTHING on New Year's Eve- well, by nothing, I mean I am looking forward to a quiet night on the couch with my husband and a movie.  Nothing nicer, at this stage of the game than having nothing but to do but that.  The holidays can be a mad whirl with too much to do and not enough time. New Year's Eve is a time to reflect and to look forward, isn't it?  Are you making resolutions?  I never much saw the point, but I usually resolve to have one new volunteer experience in the new year.  I will see where that takes me.  In the past, I have volunteered for Operation Gratitude ( still do that when I can)  the LA Marathon ( this will be our TENTH year out there, want to join me?) McGroarty Arts Center ( I'm on the Board, so you know how that one worked out!)  I also do a lot of volunteer stuff related to my job at LAPL.  I don't think I am supposed to do that, but it's MY time if I wish to show up on a Saturday and help out where I am needed.  The WORST experience I have ever had was with the Burbank Rose Parade float people.  They treated their volunteers horribly, it was almost like something out of Dickens, with some of us working on a very dusty project while those in charge stood around eating snacks and yelling at us for drinking WATER near the worktable.  You NEVER yell at volunteers, in my book.  It is the one place I will never go back to. Their behavior was elitist and quite rude, as if they were doing US a favor, by allowing us to work on their precious float.  Someday, I would like to work on a float again, but need to look into the "how" of it.  The rules can be confusing.  If you don't work before the end of the month, they won't accept you during the last week.  Makes sense I suppose, they don't have time to train you during "crush week".  Maybe next year I will look into it, just NOT Burbank.  The dust and the people left a bad taste in my mouth.

Happy New Year!  May we see better days in 2013!

1 comment:

  1. THAT is EXACTLY what Shawn and I have planned!! we have Nico in bed when he passes out, and adult libations for Shawn and myself til we pass out! LOL!! in the comfort of our own home! away from vomit laced gigs and bad driving yay .. and by the way, they had a MAGNIFICENT expo for float volunteers yesterday at the Rose Bowl.. they treated everyone so wonderfully, and everyone was nice to us, who were mere spectators :) xoxo to you guys :) and Happy New Year :) much love to all of you

    ReplyDelete

Comment Away, but please be respectful!