Saturday, June 27, 2015

Marriage Equality

In the midst of all the joyous posts, celebrating love over hate and making all of our citizens equal in regard to marriage, I was disturbed by a few mean spirited posts.   I was dismayed by a few friends whose fear of  gays has caused them to cling to the idea that this undermines THEIR marriage; or that now we will be able to marry our dogs.   I was also dismayed by a post by an openly gay comic I have encountered in my professional travels, decrying everyone posting rainbows.  He was complaining that all the people doing that didn't have the right to, as we were probably not gay and did not join in the fight.  OK.  Stick to your bitterness.  I guess you have been fighting so long, now that this battle is over, you are looking to start another fight because you don't know what to do with yourself?  We may not all have been protesting in the streets, but support for this has crossed all boundaries.  Let us ALL celebrate what this means for the Gay community. 

To those people saying that now churches will be forced to perform gay marriages, I ask that they read the law.  I did not see that the Catholic church was forced to perform marriages between divorced parishioners, as it was against their canon.  If you want to remain closed minded, then do so.  I certainly would not want someone like you to ruin MY beautiful day, when I marry.  The same goes for anyone who would not provide goods or services.  I vote with my feet AND I let people know about it, so people can make an informed decision about patronizing these establishments.  It's a free market and customers are allowed to choose just as owners reserve the right to refuse service.  Ultimately, money talks.

I am proud of my country today, as we move forward and make equality the law of the land.  Is the battle over?  Not by a long shot.  You cannot legislate emotions and it will take a long time before gay marriage is universally accepted.  Heck, some people still think interracial marriage is wrong.  But let us put all that aside today as we celebrate the landmark ruling of the Supreme Court.  LOVE WINS!

2 comments:

  1. First, let me purge my mind of the image of Robyn voting with her feet - awkwardly trying to get her toes around the little pushpin, probably knocking the row of cardboard booths over........OK, sorry!
    YES - it was a very satisfying day. I cannot say triumphant, because demanding person that I am, I wish it had not been 5 to 4 - and that Clarence Thomas, in particular, but all the dissenting justices had not been so - well - almost hateful about it. And not triumphant, because almost immediately, people like the governor of Texas vowed to disobey. Still, some moments of great happiness, and I admit that I cried a lot when I watched Katie Couric interviewing Jim Obergefell ( and they both laughed as she kept stumbling over his name) He talked about their very real love and commitment, and said the sorrow was only that John Arthur was not alive to see it today. Not dramatic, not showy, just a nice conversation.
    Well, I wonder what is next. There will always, alas, alas, be haters and bigots, and worse, hate-mongers. This whole church thing - lots of people cannot get married inthe church of their choice. My father had been divorced, so my mother couldn't have a Catholic wedding (and as far as I know, they never sued Saint Andrew's) and a lot of people choose NOT to have religious weddings. It's a civil contract, Baby. But, hey, why let facts get in the way? And as far as polygamy, or pedophilia (and probably necrophilia next) don't make me feel guilty and creepy when I pet my cat and tell Sparky I love him.
    I found President Obama;s remarks in the Rose Garden very moving, and frankly, if I ever DO get married, I want Justice Kennedy'r remarks to be a part of the ceremony.
    Robyn, thank you for your post, and I also say thanks to you and Chris for being secure in yourselves so that you don't feel my (potential) gay marriage will undermine yours! (OH, as if!)
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's a triumph. But let's also not forget that there are more battles ahead. It is still legal in other states to discriminate in housing and employment based on sexual orientation and gender identity. But first, we CELEBRATE!

    ReplyDelete

Comment Away, but please be respectful!