Thursday, March 31, 2016

Teachers

As the song goes "when I think back on all the crap I learned in High School, it's a wonder I can think at all"  As I approach my 40th reunion- how is THAT possible-   I am thinking about it and the impact on who I am, those three years spent at San Fernando High School and beyond.

On Monday, I had lunch with my favorite English teacher.  This man had quite an impact on me.  He gave me the freedom to create with my peers and let me write without criticism. Critique, yes.  Direction and editing, yes but never telling me that I should not write something.  Occasionally he would call something crap, and I generally agreed with him.  I found I was a pretty good editor of my own stuff.  Mostly in those days I wrote poetry, something I seem to have forgotten how to do and hope to get back to doing, even if it's just for myself.  The way I wrote, back then, was to try to get the meaning of what I was thinking by using the fewest words possible; sort of haiku but without having to count the syllables.  That helps me today in some of the work I am doing, as I have to pare down someone's request to the size of a "tweet" to fit into the online request forms.   Meeting and talking with someone who mentored me and to be able to again express my thanks was very nice.  He is still one very interesting guy and I enjoyed having lunch and talking about things.  We plan to do this more often.

My friend Maggie, who is a dance teacher, posted something today about not being a "real" teacher because she didn't give tests.   My response is "Life gives you enough tests.  Real teachers give you the tools to face them."  I think often about a handful of teachers whose names and life lessons I remember.  My former English teacher was unconventional, but I took away from his class something I use every day.  I can't say the same about algebra or biology.  I followed my heart and got my degree in English.  For a brief time, I thought about teaching, but it was not for me; thankfully I was in a credential program where my mentor understood that.  I remember going to my end of semester review and preparing to tell her I was leaving.  She looked uncomfortable as I sat down. I said "Pam, I won't be back next semester"  She visibly relaxed  "oh GOD"  she said  "I was up half the night trying to figure out how to tell you that you were not cut out for teaching"  We both laughed and I told her I knew about three weeks into the program but needed the credits to graduate so I stuck it out.  She gave me a decent grade.  It was good for me to be there and I am grateful.  My co-teacher is now a professor at Moorpark  College.  HE was cut out to teach!

Teaching is a profession that is underrated.  Teachers will never get rich, but their impact is felt.  A good teacher can turn someone around.  I am thankful for those who have chosen a profession that will shape hearts and minds.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, back to La Salle High School.......never ever use any of Brother Wilfred's chemistry stuff, never use any of Brother David's algebra, do wish I had paid more attention to Brother Raphael in geometry though, Mr. Carillo in American history - not a good match, but the lit classes, and even Mr. Brown's sophomore history class paid off (not about Buddha's birthday, though, although I can remember JFK's favorite soup - Campbell's cream of tomato with extra sour cream!) (WHY WHY WHY!) AND never regretted being an English major in college - although not for any job opportunities! Robyn is so right, the teachers I can recall with fondness have had an amazing impact on my life - some back to the early days of Saint Luke's grammar school! I am still tight friends with a professor from graduate school - she shaped me in ways she never guessed!
    Tom

    ReplyDelete

Comment Away, but please be respectful!