Thursday, April 9, 2020

April

I    In al of this, I had forgotten that April is National Poetry Month.   I always think about T.S. Eliot, "April is the cruelest Month" the opening lines to The Wasteland.  this morning, I read the first section" The Burial of the dead"  The Wasteland is a LONG poem and is best eaten in sections.   I like Eliot, and the first section of this poem is the perfect reflection of my mood these days; filled with reflection and longing.  I particularly "feel" the German passages  , especially Oed and leer das Meer, which I translate as Vast and empty is the sea.  I may be wrong, my German is a bit rusty, but it strikes a chord with me, nonetheless.

      As far as poets go, I love Charles Bukowski  ( it turns out a lot of what I write sounds like I am trying to mimic him, I'm NOT, it's just the way I write) and Mary  Oliver, whom I only recently was introduced to.  I'm sorry I didn't find her sooner.

           So, in this Cruelest month, where we are home  maybe reading and maybe reflecting and maybe celebrating poetry and its impact on our souls, whom do you suggest I read next.  I want someone new, not someone I would have already studied.  I have a degree in English!

                 Please comment and share your favorites!



2 comments:

  1. So, was I, Missy!
    Anyway, try David Whyte, I came to him through a reference by our rector during Good Friday service.
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. He is wonderful! I need to find my copy of Pablo Neruda

    ReplyDelete

Comment Away, but please be respectful!