Monday, February 25, 2013

Academy Awards and the Grammy Museum

I used to look forward to the Oscars, well a little bit. Sometimes the ceremony seed to drag on and on. I love the fashions and I remember sitting on the couch with my Fashionista daughter, talking about the clothes and the hair.  It was fun.  I forgot that now they play the show in Real Time, not Prime Time.  By the time I might have tuned in, the thing I loved best, the opening monologue, was over.  I don't know Seth McFarlane, but judging by the preliminary reaction BEFORE he began, I didn't expect him to be, oh...  say ...BILLY CRYSTAL or Robin Williams.  I expected him to be at least mildly funny.  I stared in slack mouthed horror at the travesty.  It was like a train wreck  I didn't know where to look.  Someone told me I need to "lighten up"  Someone else pointed out that McFarlane is the creator of "Family Guy" and this was his sense of humor.   Uh... Family Guy is sometimes mildly amusing.  THIS was not.  What in the name of  Cecil B. DaMille was that song about "we saw your boobs" doing there?  The look on Charlize Theron's face said it all.  Sock Puppets?    The whole routine was so Junior High.  Fans of McFarlane will probably accuse me of  not being sophisticated enough to "get" the humor.  Maybe so, or maybe the Emperor  is just naked.    The only thing I liked about it is , who knew Charlize Theron could dance like that?  I need to go on You-tube to see some of the bits people are talking about, like the ending song.  You have to wonder if  McFarlane is a frustrated "Song and Dance" man.  He had a nice voice, he was just not funny.  I never did get total insult humor.  Don Rickles, for instance almost never made me laugh.  Now, I am as sarcastic as the next person, but...

I went to the Grammy Museum yesterday. I have always wanted to go but the price seemed a little steep, so when a friend said she had an extra ticket, I thought it would be fun.  The Museum is a nice mix of static displays and interactive exhibits.  I LOVED "Playing" the drum kits and the congas.  This only went to PROVE I  have no rhythm, but it was fun, nonetheless.  Currently up is a "Heavy Metal" exhibit, with a lot of stuff on the "hair Metal" bands of the 80s and how MTV "created" that genre; which was more about the look and less about the music.  "Video Killed the Radio Star" , anyone?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Away, but please be respectful!