Sunday, February 17, 2013

Books

I read.  A lot.  Recently I got back into the Jim Butcher series The Dresden Files.  Imagine Harry Potter, all grown up and living in Chicago as imagined by Raymond Chandler or Sara Paretsky.  The one I just finished is "Turncoat"  and while the series requires a whole bushel basket of "willing suspension of disbelief" the books are fun and totally worth  a look.  Harry Dresden is a wizard who skirts the laws of magic and the laws of Chicago as he runs his detective business.  Harry is charmingly sarcastic in the interior monologue AND in his actions with others.I am also beginning "Oscar Wilde and the Vampire Murders" by Gyles Brandreth.  Apparently, it too is a series, but I plucked it off the shelf at Central as something to read on the subway.  So far, it's pretty good.

There is so much I have NOT read that I want to.  I am going to have to make a list.  I never read Jules Verne, believe it or not.  Don't know why and maybe I should have a go at one of his books.  I am playing a game on Facebook, based on "Around the World in 80 Days"  I wonder if I should start there?  I need to read some Arthur Conan Doyle ( who is a character in the Oscar Wilde book I am reading)

As the saying goes "So many books. So little time"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Away, but please be respectful!