Saturday, February 9, 2013

Food and transport in Las Vegas.

We spent what amounted to two days in Las Vegas.  We play a game on Facebook called My Vegas, where  you can earn "Loyalty Points" with which you can buy  things like meals and shows.  So  we "bought" all the meals ahead of time.  A run-down of the food venues

First Night
Rock and Rita's in Circus Circus.

The food is supposed to be down-home BBQ, but they had these little weird things like chili served in a toilet bowl with the toilet tank filled with margarita.  I think my funny bone was not getting the joke, it just seemed... icky.  I got a PO-boy sandwich.  Lightly fried catfish.  The sauce had an unpleasant aftertaste.  The fries were shoestring and not worth the effort.  I left most of them on the plate.  Chris said the burger was pretty good, someone else had told him to get the burger.  They did NOT have any kind of dessert I could eat- the only thing that looked interesting was the deep fried Twinkie and since there are no more Twinkies, that was out.  The waiter wasn't interested in answering a question about nuts in the brownie cake.  His tip was less than it would have been.  Please NOTE, although we were comped for all the meals we did tip the waitstaff at each location according to what we would have paid had there been a cash transaction taking place.

Breakfast
Day Two

We had two comps to the Mirage "Cravings" buffet.  We got there just as breakfast was ending and lunch was beginning.  This BTW means that the breakfast stuff has been out a while and CAN be dicey.  I had what tasted like a nuclear fried ( aka microwaved) Belgian Waffle.  Thick and unpleasantly chewy I didn't even finish it.  The guy at  the carving station looked at two of us and gestured to the remainder of the ham-bone as if to say"There isn't anything to carve"  and shrugged.  I found enough to eat that was ok, nothing to write home about.  They opened up a sushi station at noon.  That was ok, not much better than some of the prepackaged sushi I can get downtown however.  The desserts were ok  They had "cherries jubilee" which tasted like pie filling.  I need to look up a recipe and make it for myself!  They had these mini eclairs which were the best thing in the buffet.  The waitress was attentive and irreverent and she was suddenly supposed to take care of half the rapidly filling restaurant .  "The manager thinks I'm 'Wonder Waitress"  she said, laughing.  I asked her if they had issued her roller skates.  It made her laugh.

Dinner Day Two
Circus Circus Buffet

Everything you hear about crummy buffets is a reality when it comes to the Circus Circus Buffet.  Bland food, tough meat ( I can hear my dad's old joke  about seeing the marks where the jockey was beating it) The server lost half the turkey as he slid it out of the oven and onto the counter.  This did not bode well for how overcooked it must have been and I didn't even ask for any.  A lot like a Hometown Buffet.  It was the least expensive of the comps, but if I had been paying I would NOT have been pleased.The NICE thing was they had a variety of drink options, so I got a few cappuccinos.  The server was very sweet.  

Lunch Day Three
Bellagio

Oh YUM!  The Bellagio has the BEST buffet.  I am glad we had time to go and eat.  We got there just as the lunch service was beginning, so there were still some breakfast options as well as the lunch food.  I had ribs and shrimp.  The cheese blintz was only so -so  but the rest of the food was VERY good.

Here's the thing about not having your own car in Vegas.  You either walk, take the bus system or take a cab.  Chris wasn't feeling all that great and truth to tell neither was I , so we took cabs.  A lot.  We did a lot of walking. Next time we probably won't take the bus and it will be easier to get from Point A to Point B without too much hassle.  The cab rides were fine, but a bit on the pricy side.   We were too far from the tram and the bus stops were too far from where we wanted to go.  Taking the Megabus was an adventure but after about three hours I had had enough.  The potty situation was what pushed me over the edge.  One toilet that was a glorified Andy Gump.  Uh, yuck.  I hope they get the train running to Vegas in the near future   THAT would be fun!

1 comment:

Comment Away, but please be respectful!