Tuesday, February 26, 2013

C-C-C-Changes.

I used to get the morning news by reading the Yahoo home page.   They recently "improved it" so you can't find anything.  They used to have a section for national news, one for local, one for entertainment- you know... LOGICAL!  Now it looks like someone took the "supermarket" approach to things and has jumbled it up so you have to look at everything to find what you want.  It's a complete waste of time.  You know that's how they organize the supermarket, right?  It's purposely confusing so you will impulse buy stuff. I HATE going into my local Vons sometimes.  There isn't a single aisle the doesn't have at least two free standing racks of crap blocking the shelves.  Sometimes, I have to move the darn things to get to the thing I came in for.  That's how the new Yahoo makes me feel.

I wonder sometimes if programmers get bored and that's what happens when they "fix" things that aren't broken.  I remember when they "upgraded" the main job creation program I use.  It was easy to use and did the job, but some genius felt the need to add graphics.  Sigh.  "Don't you LIKE the graphics?" They asked me.  I thought it was condescending, as if as a woman I needed pretty pictures to do my job.  "NO." I said  It could look like DOS, as long as it worked. This doesn't WORK"  Same goes for Google mail.  They had the NERVE to change the file storage program in the middle of the workday- WHILE I WAS WORKING ON A DEADLINE!   Yep.  I had a mini-meltdown in my cube as I tried to relearn how to store my files and get the work done before the end of my workday.  WHY they would change it at four in the afternoon is beyond me!  Thankfully, my Officemate speaks "geek" and was able to walk me through it.

I am not adverse to change, when it is warranted, but sometimes they throw out the baby with the bathwater, simple because they can.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Away, but please be respectful!