Sunday, March 24, 2013

Controversy that keeps me awake

A lot goes through my mind at three a.m.  Like most women my age, I suffer from insomnia and sometimes, my brain switches to the "ON" position and there is no turning it off.  So here are some of the things I ponder

Gun Control.  This is a hot button issue, and as a card carrying liberal you might find it surprising that I am against it.  I think the fact that news travels so fast and we hear more about the atrocities in the world that we want to do SOMETHING- ANYTHING to repair the damage.  The Sandy Hook killings are just a tragedy all the way around.  Why wasn't the killer getting better mental health care? Was he?  I don't know.  I do worry that we point our fingers at the gun and not at the person behind it.  I think people are crazier than ever before and some killers think they will be famous after their death for their deeds. I blame the media in some regard, as they lionize these wack jobs It's funny, I don't know the name of the kid.  I hope I never do.  I think about the innocent victims more than I think about the shooter.

Gay Marriage ( or as I like to call it "Marriage")  No surprise either that I "identify" as Christian.  I have a pretty good working relationship with my Creator.  I try to remember to be tolerant and patient, but sometimes I have to say "REALLY?"  What is it with people these days wanting to get into everyone's business?  Can someone explain to me HOW in the world another person's marriage- or lack thereof- impacts MY marriage.  The last time I looked, there were only two people in a marriage.  If we go to the "Biblical' definition, I seem to recall that up to four wives at a time were allowed.  Didn't Abraham have a few  (  I Just looked it up , it was three) and didn't it kind of tick his first wife Sarah off? But I digress...
I am hoping the Supreme Court rules in favor of Gay marriage.  It is time we stop being so narrow minded about the rights of others.  A little more than 50 years ago, interracial Marriage was forbidden in many states ( look up Mildred Loving).  We need to stop worrying so much about love and focus on changing hate.

On a related topic,  who appointed  the Mayor of New York to be  the freaking Food Police.  If I WANT to drink a big sweet syrupy soda pop on a hot day, who is HE to say I can't?  He needs to get off it.  He's becoming a joke.  He's not my mom for goodness sakes!  I want to be able to choose and if I choose something he deems unhealthy so be it.  Sure we need to educate our children about making good choices but seriously an occasional Big Gulp is not going to kill most of us.  Look at that woman who only drank unsweetened tea and it weakened her bones.  Weird.   I like Michelle Obama's approach to show us that healthy can be fun.  The Mayor of New York is just being a Grinch!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Away, but please be respectful!