Thursday, March 7, 2013

Songs I learned as a kid

This morning I woke up with. of all things, "Waltzing Matilda" in my head.  I remember learning this song in the third grade.  That year, I had a teacher who included a lot of music as part of the curriculum.  I love music, I love to sing, although you might not want to hear me.    The thing I was thinking about Waltzing Matilda is that the lyrics are all in Aussie slang and I really didn't understand what the heck they were talking about, so I looked it up.  Remember this song is taught to nine year olds as a jolly tune to sing along.  Turns out the song is about a sheep rustler who kills himself in the pond in order to avoid capture.  Well!  That's a cheery tune, isn't is?  It got me thinking about things like that.  We played "Ring around the rosy"  which as I recall was about the black plague or something.  The "All fall down" portion was people dying, but  we never knew that as kids.  It was just ...funny.  It got me wondering what songs kids these days learn?  My "kid" is in her twenties, so I have no idea.  I wonder if the kids learn "Froggy would a- courting go" or  "Tingalayo"which was about a donkey with special talents.  I know they learn "the Wheels on the bus", because I hear it from kids.  I wonder what folks songs that we sang will be taught to kids?  I wonder if a hundred years from now, some kids will learn a Bob Dylan song of protest and not learn the context in which it was sung.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Away, but please be respectful!