Sunday, March 3, 2013

Things that are on my mind.

I know I promised to be more positive in my postings, but today I feel a bit like going on a rant, so come along for the ride.. or not.

The LA marathon.  It's a huge event and this will be the tenth year my friends and I will be out at Mile 25- LATE in the day.  Working the late station means we DON'T see the Elites whiz by, we don't see the winner or the pace car or the media trucks.  What we do see is the average runner, most of whom are jogging or walking by the time they get to us.  We offer a smile, water, electrolyte replacement fluids and an encouraging word or two.  It has bee a rewarding experience.  This year, due to a trick of the calendar, the event will be held on St Patrick's Day.  THIS should be interesting.  The only thing I am ticked about is that they chose ORANGE for the t-shirts.  Yes.  Orange.  This is an insult.  The wearing of orange on the day that honor the patron saint of Ireland is considered "fighting words" in some quarters.  I realize that there are people on both sides of the ideological wall that is Ireland and her history, but of ALL the colors of the rainbow the brain trust at the Marathon chooses ... ORANGE.  Wasn't there one member of the staff who was part of the Irish Diaspora who said, "hold on there" ?   Uh, wouldn't the logical choice have been green anyway?  Sheesh.  We need to get those folks to a Celtic heritage meeting.  I will NOT be wearing any orange t-shirt.  Look for me in a customized GREEN shirt this year.

Can anyone tell me why the government, knowing a crisis is looming, doesn't do anything about it except point fingers and wring their hands.  It's like they want to punish us for the way the election turned out.  Screw up the country because you didn't get what you want.  We need to look at their behavior and vote out every single one of the idiots who sat by and let the budget go over the falls. Is this any way to run an airline?

Why, tell me why, do boys in their teens and early twenties wear their pants buckled around the bottom of their butt-cheeks and show us their underwear?  I don't want to see your undies any more than I want to see someone's bra straps, but that seems to be the fashion.  Call me a fuddy -duddy. It looks trashy; as if you couldn't be bothered with getting clothes that fit you correctly or that you have no pride in your appearance.  I know there is a whole segment of the fashion industry dedicated to looking unkempt and people pay thousands to look like Helena Bonham- Carter who always looks like she could use a good bath and a session with a hair brush.  My parents used to talk about "Long haired hippies" in the same way, I guess. 

I am looking forward to the Art Fair at the McGroarty Arts Center on March 23.  The exhibit actually opens on March 9.  There will be a reception at the Center on the 9th from 6-9.  I will be working the Art Fair in some capacity on the 23rd.  There will be food ( the exhibit is titled "Bite ME" and all the art is related in some way to food)  and  the art will be for sale.  Come out to see it.  If you aren't able to come to the fair or the Gala opening, the exhibit itself runs from the 11th through the 23rd from 10 to 6 daily ( closed Sundays)  The Center is at 7570 McGroarty Terrace  in Tujunga.  Drop me a note if you want to know more.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Away, but please be respectful!