Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Disney Girls, Beatle Boys...

Two things happened yesterday that made me feel my age is creeping up on me.  Annette Funicello died and Julian Lennon turned 50.  Annette was an icon of my childhood, I was just a bit too young to really remember watching her on the Mickey Mouse Club, I think I watched re-runs as a kid. She was the perfect Disney "Princess" before they started talking about Disney Princesses.  I never knew her, just her public personae of a sweet and talented "girl"  She was a "girl" long after she was a woman, you know?  I wonder if she thought those "Frankie and Annette" movies were silly?  Probably not.  One of the things I remember thinking about her as a child is how she pronounced her name in the Disney roll-call  " Anne-ette" not "AH-net"  I wonder if it bugged her to have her name mispronounced all those years.

I did not realize that I am just a few years older than Julian Lennon.  To me he was always a little boy.  I like Julian's music.  I saw him in concert once and he was very good.  The shame is, that after John was murdered, everyone wanted him to be John.  The record label pushed him into headlining, when at the time he should have been brought along as an opener.  I think they put an awful lot of pressure for him to be John. I saw George's son Dhani on the cover of a guitar magazine my husband  had.  He is playing music too.  I will have to Google him and see what he is doing musically. Julian is a talented musician and photographer.  I read something very telling from Julian , that because his father was not a photographer that his work in that art form can be judged on it's own merit.  How sad.  We lost a musical icon when John died.  Julian lost his father. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Away, but please be respectful!