Friday, April 12, 2013

Mondegreens, Classic rock radio and bad songs

I have been driving my husband's car this week and listening to the radio ( I  don't want to start listening to a book on tape or drag half my cd collection into his car)  His car has the feature on the radio that tells you the name of the song.  For some reason I was suffering thru the Scorpions and glanced at the radio.  DANG  I always thought the guy was saying "Here I am .. RAUNCHY like a hurricane."  My bad.  It reminded me of one of my daughter's friends, when they were little, in the backseat of the car singing along with the Dixie Cups "going to the jack-o-lantern, gonna get married"  I guess when we miss hear, we try to find something that makes sense.  How you get MARRIED at the jack-o-lantern is anyone's guess.
 
Listening to stations that play Classic Rock (even K-Earth doesn't play "Oldies" anymore- they play way to much 70's crummy disco tinged  music for my taste)  I realize that the media believe all Baby Boomers are successful with a lot of disposable income.  In the few miles I was listening to the radio, I heard commercials for BMW, Cadillac and a golf tournament.  I was also offered "unique investment opportunities"  Sorry, I just "invested"  in a tank of gas.  That was all the "disposable income" I had for the week.

A friend asked me my opinion of the classic song by Leonard Cohen, "Suzanne"  I remember liking the song, so I asked my husband about it.  He said it was slow, boring and depressing.  He's right of course, but I like the song anyway.  My friend said that the discussion she was listening to about the song asserted that every man has his "Suzanne" and that the song touches a core in them.  I tried to remember why I liked the song.  I think it's because it evokes a pleasant memory in me, where I was when I first heard it, not the song itself.  I wonder if that is the case with music.  Do we like it for itself, or does it serve as a touchstone to another memory? Both, I suppose. There are songs I love that are really awful on their own, but because of the memory that comes with them I continue to love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Away, but please be respectful!