Thursday, August 23, 2018

staying in hotels

We are on vacation and our first stop is Las Vegas.  I'm over Vegas, frankly.  I'm getting too old for the lights and the noise and being in a scooter, the transportation situation is a hassle.

We are staying at the Park MGM, simply because we got a great deal.  The hotel used to be the Monte Carlo, which I can't remember ever going to, although I must have at some point.

For lack of a more eloquent word, this hotel is weird.

Let me start with the rooms.  The windows are smallish and are covered with an ugly olive green shade.  I LIKE green, it's my favorite color but this thing is the color of army uniforms in the 50's.  The accent wall is a dull forest green.  The effect is unpleasant.The lamp is placed off center to anything.  It looks like an afterthought.  The cord is tacked to the wall, after it wraps around what looks like an old spool for cloth-wrapped wiring.  it ends up in brass colored conduit that is affixed with rounded fittings that are screwed to the wall on one side.  Chris says it's Steampunk, but I disagree.  A Steampunk lamp would be metal.  this thing is a cloth monstrosity that looks like the top of my mothers cake pan, rendered in cloth.  It is ugly,

The artwork on the walls looks like someone's bad vacation photos and their untalented children's art projects.   The postcards in the bathroom looked like they were framed at Target.

The bathroom had a sink that is square and completely flat.  it did not drain without help.  The "handicapped" shower has a seat and grab bars in a very small tub.  The room is huge but the sink and tub look like they were designed for rooms half the size.  You could hold a square-dance in the empty space.

I guess if you are staying more than one day, they do not clean your room.  At all.   I like to have the room freshened, the trash taken out, the bathroom wiped down, new soap, the bed remade.   I make my bed at home! I wound up taking the full trash out to the common trash can in the elevator lobby.  Someone told me I should call housekeeping, but in the past that has never worked out.  We will see if this is a trend at our next stop, in Cedar City.  We are going to the Shakespeare Festival

The good stuff- there was a nice pool and Jacuzzi which I enjoyed for a bit until I remembered I hadn't put sunscreen on  and given that  I JUST had something removed, I went inside.    If you go to the Aria Cafe, look for  a waiter named Bobby. He's a delight!  There is a free tram between the Park, the Aria and the Bellagio, which made going to eat easier.  Chris and I BOTH have scooters.  They charge an arm and a leg for parking, so we left the car in valet for the entire time.  I think the "ransom" may be steep, but worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Away, but please be respectful!