Saturday, August 17, 2013

Herman Melville?

I see that LAPL has decided to focus a "One City one book" type of blitz on the Classic tale of a megalomaniac and a large white whale.   I will NOT be participating in the event. Why? you ask.  Simple.  For me, Moby Dick is a soporific.  Yep.  Many nights, when insomnia is my closest companion, I pad downstairs to the couch clutching a copy of Melville's magnum opus.  I get to about "Call me Ishmael.  Several years ago, never mind how many"  and I am off in dreamland   ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.  Seriously.  I call it "the Moby Dick cure" .  I had to laugh, I cannot recall the name of the book, but another author mentioned in a novel I was reading that the book had the same effect.  I liked the film with Richard Basehardt and Gregory Peck.  The month-long exploration of the novel and it's impact and relationship to  Los Angeles should be fun.  To me the thing MOST Moby I see is on almost every street corner in LA.  A tribute, if you will, to a minor character in the book.  The first mate of the Pequod named ( wait for it)  STARBUCK!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Away, but please be respectful!