Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Tribute bands and "Which One's Pink" Roxy August 19

I had heard of this band , first from a friend who raved about them.  Now I have to admit this ( don't shoot me) I am NOT a real big Pink Floyd fan.  Maybe because some of the music on Dark Side of the Moon makes me, well, edgy.  But they are one of the bands my husband truly loves, so when we got the opportunity to see "Which One's Pink" at the Roxy last night, I said "sure, why not?"

The funny part of this is that I know one of the members.  Back in the day, bass player Scott Richards was in the band Manakin; a band I worked for and hung out with.  I always liked Scott, so it would be a bonus to me to see an old friend performing as well. 

This was going to be a live broadcast and the place was packed with fans.  This band SELLS OUT houses, so it was a no-brainier that giving away tickets would pack the house.  Chris and his boss, Ellen, got there before me and scored a place in line that was about twenty people from the front door.  We scooted in and I half dragged Ellen over to what used to be the service bar area, so we could see above the crowd ( Ellen is even more "petite" than me!) and we could lean on the bar ( yeah, my stupid toe is still bothering me and the thought of standing for two hours did not make me all warm and fuzzy.)  It worked out well.  We ordered drinks and some food; NEVER order food there, BTW, the "grilled cheese" were cold and not all that tasty, I wolfed down a half a sandwich and gave the other half to Chris, as this qualified for my "dinner"  They also ONLY had Jamison's, no Bushmill's :(  Oh well.


The band came on to the cheers of the crowd.  The host of the program had been instructing the crowd, but her voice was so squeaky and muffled where we were she could have been telling us how to dance the Watusi  for all I knew.  I love how the Roxy starts with the curtain down and raises it, rather theatrically, when the band is in place.  It was a real treat to watch good musicians  having FUN while playing; most of the band was smiling ear-to-ear at some point.  The place was packed and the crowd roared and sang along to every song. I thought it was funny that the American crowd sung the chorus to "The Wall" in a decidedly British accent!  They did all the songs you would expect, including my favorite "Wish you were here"  I love the lyrics of that song.  It always makes me think. 

I don't really like crowds.  Being short in stature, people tend to think they can push me around.  I have a very aggressive stance that I have developed over the years and it usually works well for me.  Some Bozo decided to stand almost on top of Ellen.  She was able to get him to move, I was glaring at him as he tried to give her some lip. Otherwise, my "getting big" technique seemed to work and we had a nice vantage point to see the band and to get out of the club quickly after the show.  The Service bar is right by the back door. 

While I was watching the show, I ruminated on the popularity of "Tribute Bands"  ( should I make a crack that I think the current lineup of "Journey" IS a tribute band?) I thought about it.  I suppose seeing GOOD musicians playing GOOD music, familiar music is the draw.  You will never be able to see some of these bands and hear the music is such an intimate setting.  I have enjoyed other "tribute" bands like Dread Zeppelin and Metalachi, both of whom put on a lively, if irreverent "tribute"  It's a treat to watch good player play.  I even enjoy some cover bands , an old friend plays in a band called "the Retreads" which just seems like a group of guys playing music they love, a "tribute" band of sorts.  I always have fun when I go out to see them as well.

The night was over early enough for me to get home and NOT be a total Zombie today.  I am getting too old to go out and stay up all night and try to go to work the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Away, but please be respectful!