Wednesday, January 23, 2013

First Ladies

This week has got me thinking about the role of the First Lady and the women who have made it what it is.  Except for Martin Van Buren, every president was married. I think his niece was took over that  role for his administration  I think Andrew Jackson's wife was too ill to have any official hostess role, I need to look it up at some point.  I am thinking about the recent past, where the role of First Lady went from hostess to a woman with a cause.  I suppose Eleanor Roosevelt was the first real go-getter; she had to be.  FDR was in a wheelchair and most of the country did not know that.  Can you imagine that scenario in today's media?  He probably would never have been elected, never mind that his brain was sound.  Much would have been made of his physical condition. He sent Eleanor as his ambassador.  She rose to the occasion.  I love the quote attributed to her "A woman is like a teabag.  You never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water"  well, something like that.   She set the bar, as far as I am concerned.  I was thinking about the causes that modern day First Ladies take on as part of their role.  Lady Bird with the environment, Jackie with restoring the White House, Betty Ford who made her struggles with substance abuse and breast cancer public; bringing what had been closed-door topics out into the light of day.  I love Michelle Obama.  She is a smart, strong woman.  She seems to have a good sense of humor.  I love the way her children look at her.  She is a wonderful role model for them and for other girls. I don't get why people don't like her and say horrid things about her.  People who don't like her husband are commenting, I suppose. Still I admire her.  It can't be an easy job, First Lady. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Away, but please be respectful!