Sunday, January 6, 2013

Long overdue cd review Winter People "A Year at Sea

Several months ago, I got an email from a friend in Australia telling me about this band and suggesting I check them out, as she thought I might enjoy them.  As usual, my friend was right.   I was delighted in October to not only get a copy of the CD, but to see the band on their very small US Tour.  I have been listening to the CD a lot, but as of yet have not had a spare moment to write down my thoughts.  Here goes!

This is an amazing band.  It is hard to pinpoint an actual style here.  I suppose the best would be folk classic rock.  OK forgive me but here is what I am hearing in the CD

The lead singer has a gritty voice but pleasant and interesting. The band has had some favorable comparisons to Dylan, but unlike Bob, this guy can actually sing.  He doesn't have a great range, but that is made up by the two women in the band who play violins.   It adds an extra component. They also have wonderful , sometimes  ethereal voices which add a sweetness to the mix.   I love how the rock portions suddenly become symphonic in songs like "Gallons" which has a HUGE drum sound that is terrific.  It is becoming my current favorite.  Had I written this last week, it would have been "Top of the World" which has quite a nice hook to it and it completely stuck in my head..The song also reminds me of Cagney in White Heat where he's at the top of the water tower yelling "Top of the World, Ma" before they shoot him.  I think it's White Heat.  Better look it up.  

 The variety in the music shows quite a range of talent here.  There are some VERY folk-y songs and there are some real rockers with that stirring symphonic sound that I mentioned.  Intense.  Some of the lyrical content gives me mental pictures of the US, but I wonder when they talk about Dust Bowl cities, if they aren't talking about places in Australia.  No matter, the beauty in art is that it makes you see what YOU see, not always what the artist meant, exactly, especially when someone is painting you a word picture.  Check them out.  I am hoping they come back to visit the US soon.  I think they would gather a pretty good following.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Away, but please be respectful!