Thursday, January 17, 2013

The Book You Are Reading is One Man's Opinion of Moonlight

I read a lot, but rarely comment at much length about the books I have finished so here goes:

I read two or three books at a time; a "hangover" if you will from the days when I was an English major and had to read at least one book for each of the three or four lit classes I was taking concurrently.  Now I panic if I am not reading at least two and have one in the "on deck circle" near the bed.

I just finished listening to the new Sara Paretsky  "Breakdown"  .  It may not be her newest, but it is recent.  The story is  typical V.I, she gets into a scrape, someone tries to kill her,  blah blah blah...   The problem with this one is that the solution has a plot hole big enough to drive a Mac truck through.  Paretsky lamely tries to explain it away at the end, but it didn't wash for me.  did I enjoy the book?  Yes.  I always like her adventures and having it "read" to me by a decent reader is soothing and takes my mind off of some of the daily stressors, but  the end was less than satisfactory.

I also picked up Alexander McCall Smith's "The Dog who came in from the Cold"  one of his Corduroy Mansion series.  Couldn't get past the first page. The character goes on and on in Latin and bemoans the fact that his son doesn't understand Latin.  Neither do I.   I LIKE his 1st Women's Detective Agency Series, but his other two leave me flat.  I listened to a book from his 44 Scotland Avenue series.  Some of the characters annoyed me so much I kept thinking "yeah, someone's going to off  him or her"  I found myself vaguely disappointed at the end of that book when all the characters were still annoyingly alive.

I am reading "The Chaperone" by Laura Moriarty.  It's a fictionalized account of an incident in the life of Louise Brooks, who at this point is more a plot device than a character.  It's got a nice voice and good pacing, and I am not far enough in to say if the story line continues, but I am reading it on the subway and it is fine for that.

I realized that I had only read ONE Arthur Conan Doyle book and decided to revisit the series.  I picked up an annotated copy ,which has FAR too much information.  I gave up reading all the footnotes; some of them take up entire pages and I lose the thread of the story.  Maybe I will read the STORY first then go back and revisit the footnotes.  Most of the ones I did read talk about the theories of other authors about what Conan Doyle meant in this particular passage.   I am not that interested in others opinions.  The only reason I picked up THIS copy is that it had the story I wanted to read with a type setting I didn't need a page magnifier to read.   It's also to heavy to cart on the subway.  Darn

I am trying to read "The Death of a President" the definitive work on the Kennedy assassination.  It's a hard go as they get into the minutiae of everyone's day, as if it all needed to be recorded for history.  I suppose it did, but I don't think I am in a place where I can take it all in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Away, but please be respectful!