Monday, January 21, 2013

Inauguration thoughts

I did not watch the Inauguration this time. I don't know why.  I think I just got busy doing other things and I knew that I could get the best parts on line later.  I was able to watch Beyonce sing the National Anthem and James Taylor sing America the Beautiful.  I enjoyed the Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir and their rendition of  "the Battle Hymn of the Republic"  I wager that the soloist will be all over the news shows in the morning.  Stunning voice.  I think Beyonce did a fine job on the anthem, not to flashy but enough to make it her version.  People will complain no matter what she did.  I am already hearing detractors talk about how it wasn't traditional enough.  Perhaps she should have dragged out a tankard of ale if they wanted "traditional'  The tune IS based on a British drinking song after all.   I love James Taylor so just about anything he does any way he does it is just fine with me.  He still has a wonderful voice.

Much has been made and will continue in the weeks to come to be made of the fact that this inauguration coincided with the nation celebrating the life and work of Martin Luther King.  Dr King's bible was one of two used in the ceremony.  I listened to the President's speech, a call to action and a statement of his philosophy.  I won't say I was jumping up and down cheering  ( except for the part about equal rights for all.  I thought "whooboy, we are in for a tough fight on this, but I'm with ya Barrack!")  I just looked at a post on ABC news, the picture of Michelle in her ballgown.  The RACISTS comments are HORRID.  In this day and age, it shocks me to hear people use those terms.  So disrespectful.  It shows the lack of character on the part of the person making the remark.  Honestly.  I guess I should not be shocked.  I just don't think in terms of race, more in terms of behavior.  Idiots come in all shapes ,sizes and varieties.  No race has a lock on smart and no race has a lock on stupid, either.  I don't know why anyone would want to go into politics and subject themselves to this kind of attacks.  Anything you do, about half the people are going to be pissed off about anyway.

People need to stop complaining that Barrack Obama was elected.  He was.  Deal with it.  We need to stop fighting each other and work together to make this country work. Stop being a whiner about what happened and see what you can do to make things better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Away, but please be respectful!