Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The 'Net or "a lttle knowledge is a dangerous thing"

I love the Internet.  Who doesn't?  All the information in the world , right at your fingertips.  Want to plan a trip?  All there?  Look up information on an obscure author or see who played a bit part in a movie you saw when you were a teen?  Done.  Social networking is great too.  Want to reconnect with old loves, lost friends and in some cases  lost family? yup.  But there is a disturbing trend these days.  Anyone can post anything they want and they do.  The problem with that is the number of people who believe the stuff as truth without bothering to look it up.  Am I the only one TOTALLY SICKENED by the conspiracy theorists latest bit about how the Sandy Hook killings were FAKED in order to push through tougher gun laws?  What basement dwelling troll came up with that little chestnut?  Yeah, Obama ( and it 's always him isn't it) persuaded an entire town to FAKE the deaths of their children  to help him with gun control laws.  Outrageous.

I did love the kids whose dad joked that if they got a million likes on Facebook, they could have a puppy.  Some people thought that was faked, but turns out it wasn't .  Those girls were just too cute.  I hope they get a nice puppy and post photos of it so everyone can see.  Want to bet that dad never dares his kids again?

I try my very best to check things out before I post them, but sometimes my heartstrings get the better of me and I post stuff that is simply not true.  Sorry about that.  I usually say something later or delete the post if I can.   I hate getting into political arguments with my FB friends.  Sometimes the arguments get so heated I just ask to agree to disagree for sake of peace.  We are all entitled to a difference of opinion.  My father used to say that being American meant "I  may not agree with what you say, but I defend to the death your right to say it"  Many people believe that you are not a "patriot' or "true American" if you don't believe a certain way.  I think being a patriot means that I keep informed, that I vote, that I pay my taxes without trying to cheat the system, that I keep an open mind.   I just wish people would look up some of the things they post before they go off on a rant about how "our freedoms are being taken away", which is a hot button issue wherever you turn.  If you oppose a law, talk to your representatives about it,let your voice be heard, but for GOODNESS SAKE,  CHECK before you go off half -cocked about something.  Make sure it isn't some faux news story, intended only to rile things up and liven up Facebook.  Make sure THEN let your voice be heard.

I have ranted enough.  Tomorrow I promise to talk about what I am reading- some GOOD stuff out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Away, but please be respectful!