Monday, March 23, 2020

Cooking and Julia Child

Can I admit that I have never been fascinated with French food?  I know, I know, it's supposed to be the best food on the planet, but maybe it just has a great press agent. 

Last night, Chris and I watched Julie and Julia, about a woman in Queens who is drifting in her life until she takes on the challenge of making every dish in Child's standout book, "Mastering the art of French Cooking"  She blogs her journey and becomes famous, obsessing over her perception of who Julia Child is, based on the book and her popular cooking show.  Julie becomes a literary star, but at the denouement of the film learns that not everything is what it seems.

There is a line from a Joan Baez song about Bob Dylan "Idols are best when they're made of stone."  I think of that often.  We build people up to these monuments in our heads, forgetting that most people really don't walk on water.  I am glad I was raised by my Dad who worked around movie folks but reminded me that they were just normal people. doing what was perceived as a glamorous job.  The reality of film-making, from what I understand, is anything BUT glamorous. It's hard work and long hours.  Sure your picture is everywhere while you are on top and , as James Taylor wryly noted "perfect strangers call you by name" but ( and I seem to be quoting songs here)  "a legend's only a lonely boy when he goes home alone"

It was nice to try to watch a movie.  Chris thoughtfully pauses it when my restlessness causes me to get up from my seat and prowl in the kitchen. I am glad  my husband understands what is going on with me these days.  One day, when this is all over, I would like to treat him to one of those movie palaces where you can have dinner and drinks brought to your recliner while watching a film.

One Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Away, but please be respectful!