Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Erin Go Bragh

I know only two phrases in Gaelic;  Erin go bragh , which mean Ireland Forever and one which I would like to hurl at the current occupant of the White  House and the Senator from Kentucky  POGUE MAHONE ( a variant of the true Celtic so if you are Irish or speak the language please forgive me.)  it means Kiss my ass and according to my dad, the only Celtic he learned from his grandfather.

My Dad's grandparents were James McCue and Margaret Ward McCue.  The came from Caven ( pronounce KAH-ven, which I learned much to my shame at a dinner party that I had been mispronouncing it all these years)   When I retire, I am going to try to GO to the town and see if I have family there- they came her AFTER the famine, but under some kind of cloud. I would be willing to bet James was an early Fenian, there was some story about his wife signing the farm here over to someone who came looking for him while he was away and it took about two years to get it back.   James and Margaret had eighteen children; three sets of twins in the mix.  She died  when she was 42  Only nine of their children lived to adulthood,  MY grandmother was Ida Mae (she was named after a rich woman in town) but was known as Jenny ( Irish slang for a mule which probably suited her stubborn nature)  I have stories about the McCue daughters which one day I will write down for my grand-kids.  I plan on delving deeper into genealogy and family history when I retire next year.

But for today, my corned beef  in the crock pot ( an American dish eaten for some reason on St Patrick's day) and when I come home from work will hoist a wee dram of Bushmill's to toast my ancestors, and thank them for coming here to create the family that created me.  We are all here by random decisions made by someone.  When I think about that, it IS kind of trippy.

So celebrate today. Heck, celebrate every day, in some small way, the wonderful coincidence that is you!

1 comment:

  1. I will join you. I am even using green cocktail napkins at breakfast - for my coffee! And wearing much green - although no one buy the Von's delivery guy can see me. I can remember the last of my grandmother''s old cousins, Margaret Kelly - a right bitch - but have heard many tales about the Irish cousins including Uncle Joe and Aunt Agnes. AND then it turns out there was a whole other branch of the family, the O'Shaughnessys, starting with my great-great grandmother who came to America and married my great-great grandfather pretty much right off the dock! Mail order bride? Don't know.
    We all need the proverbial luck of the Irish to get through this right now, so I am putting in a few words to Saint Patrick.
    Tom (but alas, not "O'Johnson!")

    ReplyDelete

Comment Away, but please be respectful!