Thursday, November 13, 2014

When I think back on all the crap I learned in High School....

This morning, I am thinking about the teachers- both good and bad-who shaped my life.  I had the chance, via Facebook, to reconnect with one who was very influential and to thank him for what he did for me.  I often think of the lessons I learn from Don Wulffson.  Not that the man actually HAD a lesson plan ;) , but the taught us individually. Admittedly, I was in the Creative Writing class and I think that type of class is more  "free form" than any other.  You don't sign up for "Creative Writing" unless you already have a writer's mind and a possible project to work on.. He took the time to talk with us and grow us as readers and writers.  He did the most important thing a teacher could do.  He helped us believe in ourselves.  He helped us see our talent. This was one of the most creative periods of my school years.  I wrote all the time.  Some of it was utter crap, but some of it was exactly what I wanted to say.  I learned editing skills.  At one point in my life, I wanted to BE an editor.  That didn't pan out, but I use the skills I learned in my work almost every day.  I am thankful I got the chance to express my gratitude.

It got me thinking about "bad" teachers.  I have had a few whose teaching style scarred me for life.  My sixth grade teacher, for instance.  Looking back, I see how brilliant he was and I learned how to learn, but the man terrified me.  I was always a good student, but something in his manner always frightened me.  I remember being afraid a lot in class.  I wouldn't say he was a bad teacher, it was just a really unpleasant year.

Then there was the teacher- who had been my teacher the year before- who decided to put on a Cinco de Mayo Festival and we were taught a song that we would sing and then learn a dance.  Each class year would do something.  Well SOMETHING happened and SHE decided that only the Hispanic kids would be allowed to participate in the festival. So, while the rest of us non-Hispanic kids were pouring over math lessons, the Hispanic kids were out in the sunshine dancing and laughing and having a good time.  Somehow that still seems unfair for all of us.  It didn't teach us anything except to give us a first-hand lesson in segregation.  Way to go!

I've had teacher ( mostly male gym teachers) who thought it was a waste of time to try to teach girls anything.  The exception for  that would have been Sam DeJohn, who was the AP History teacher.  His lessons in taking "blue book exams" were so fierce, but when I got to college and all the freshmen around me were freaking out, I was unperturbed and calm.  After all, I had been doing this type of exam since tenth grade.

I consider myself fortunate to have had some wonderful teacher.  At one point, one of my English Professors at CSUN thought I might make a good teacher and advanced my name for the new speed credential program. It was NOT a good fit for me, and I will never forget the discomfort on the face of my Master Teacher, as she met with me that final day.  I had already decided it was not my calling- actually I had decided it early on, but completed the semester as I needed the units to graduate.  I laughed as I told her, before she could tell ME, that I was not going to continue with the program. I think the students of the world caught a break there!

So  my "thankful" today is for teachers.  They say you learn just as much from a bad one as a good one and I suppose that is true on some level.  I remember the lessons in living most of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Away, but please be respectful!