Monday, November 12, 2012

Long Overdue performance review

Pardon how long it took for me to make these remarks, as the show came in the middle of all those trips back and forth to Twenty-nine Palms and the return of the Asthma Monster.  Between that and the elections, well I just plain FORGOT I hadn't written anything.

A few months ago, my friend from Australia sent me a link to the band "Winter People"  They have a unique sound including two violinists. The rhythms are vaguely "tribal'   by that I mean closer to the land and to the sounds of the earth; somewhat Celtic ( MY tribe) and at once soothing and jarring.  Interesting.  I was Thrilled to learn that they would be playing two nights here in Los Angels, though NOT thrilled at the timing as it was SMACK in the middle of my driving days.  Ah well...

We went to see them at Witzend, a new little place on Lincoln Blvd in Venice. The club itself is charming and the owner greets EVERYONE.  Very friendly.  His waitress seemed a bit harried- the band  who were on when we walked in had PACKED the house and I think she was the only server.  The don't carry Bushmill's.  Jamieson's will do in a pinch but I prefer Bushmill's.  Nice place and we will probably go back, maybe see about dinner there as well.

I don't know where the name of the band comes from, but I remember reading a book with that title years ago, about a girl who marries into a family whom she dubs "The Winter People"  Pale in complexion and cold of heart, if I remember the story.  NOT the case here! 


Winter People played an abbreviated set, due to some mechanical difficulties, they were a bit behind in starting.  What a wonderful sound they have.  I had received JUST THAT MORNING a copy of the CD "A Year at Sea"  and had listened to a few tunes at work.  I really like the song "Top of the World"  but the whole CD is pretty darn good.  Live, they were wonderful to watch.  They had a substitute bass player who was taking cues from the drummer and doing a pretty fair job of keeping up.  The interaction between the band members, the fun they were having, made for a pretty good show.  I enjoyed them so much I wish I had been able to see them the second night, but I was leaving town in the morning.  I hope they come back to the States SOON!

I will review the CD as soon as I can get it loaded to my MP3 player and can listen uninterrupted on the subway.  They have a Facebook page.  Go there and check out the music.  You won't be disappointed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Away, but please be respectful!