Sunday, February 2, 2020

Nepotism

Trump has made a great big deal out of the fact that Hunter Biden took a job in Ukraine, that paid him a lot of money.  Apparently his name helped him get the job.

Surprise, Surprise, Surprise, as Gomer Pyle used to say.

I wonder how many people passing judgement on Young Biden have asked themselves the following questions:

Was Hunter Biden qualified for the job?  Apparently the man has a law degree and has served on Boards before, so yes, he was.

Much has been made of the amount of money he was paid, but did he fulfill the obligations of his contract in order to BE paid that stipend?  Again apparently as he went to the required meetings and provided what was considered by the company to be sound advice on the matters before the Board.

Did they hire him simply because he was Joe Biden's son?  Probably, but he BEGAN his service in 2014 and ended his term in 2019, LONG after his father was no longer VP.  IF they hired him simply for his connection and he were incompetent, they certainly would have parted company long before the end of his contract.

I wonder how many people who are screaming about nepotism are the beneficiaries of it themselves?  Certainly, the "Handbag designer" would NOT be working in the White House, Wharton Business degree notwithstanding, were her last name not Trump,  Ditto, her husband, who is no the brightest crayon in the box as far as I can tell.  Trump once referred to such people as members of "the lucky sperm club"  I wonder how he feels about that remark now.


Have you ever gotten a job because of who you know or who you are related to?  A friend recommends you?  Of COURSE you have.  So why is this any different?  Apparently, Hunter Biden did the job he was paid for.  No shame in getting the money, or is there?  Perhaps, Trump is playing to his base when he scream-tweets out the paycheck numbers, but I wonder what he is paying his family and the families of his hangers-on and if WE are getting the same BANG for our buck as Burisma got from Hunter Biden.

1 comment:

  1. I was about to say that I had never gotten a job because of who I knew, but I realized I have. Twice, without thinking too hard about it.
    Once when I was still in the corporate world, and the guy hiried me because I had worked for the company before and he liked me (I was qualified, however, right degree and experience, etc.) and perhaps because he really disliked, as did everyone, the person who had been my boss before! Also, PROBABLY at LAPL, I was hired, because there was someone who liked me a lot, wanted me working with her, and again, I was qualified, and she fought for me, and I got it. I think there are some people now at LAPL (I can think of three without trying too hard) who have moved up because of who they know, who they are related to, etc.
    BUT, the difference is, we were all qualified (well, there is one who is a loser lazy ass jerk) and as far as I can see, trumps daughter and son-in-law are just not. So I agree.
    Tom

    ReplyDelete

Comment Away, but please be respectful!