Friday, February 14, 2020

Valentine's Day thoughts

My brain is a total randomizer this morning:


I am NOT big on Valentine's Day.  Seriously, I am married to a wonderful man who makes me feel loved every day of the year, so although the flowers and candy ARE nice ( he apparently went out last night after I went to bed)  I don't get upset if I don't get them.  He takes such good care of me.  This past year has been hard health-wise which has impacted my moods.  I cry a lot.   Frustrated mostly and he just holds me.  That.  Yeah.

I was thinking about Valentine's Days as a kid.  First of all my Dad would buy all "his girls" something   He was thoughtful and a die-hard romantic.  My mom was The One, from the moment they met. I remember at some point, the elementary school I went too said EVERYONE had to get a Valentine or no one did. I think that's nice.  Kids used to compare how many they got.  The popular kids always got a lot.  I remember the box and the names being called out.  One year, a friend of mine, a rebel in her heart, although she was not suspected in any way, signed ALL of her Valentines "Once in the morning does it" The Green Phantom.  It was a tag line from a Scope Mouthwash Commercial.  No one ( except me and her) knew who did it.  I never told and I am NOT outing her now.  Just in case...

Didn't Ophelia kill herself on Valentine's Day.  The opening line of the song she sings in  her "mad speech" is Tomorrow is St Valentine's Day"  There was a whole thread about her being pregnant and abandoned, so she wraps herself in "fantastic garlands" and jumps in the pond. Happy Valentine's Day Hamlet...

I know quite a few couples who got married on Valentine's Day. Sweet, but I was thinking, the way they price-gouge on this Day of hearts and flowers, if you wanted to go out for a nice meal or away for the weekend, it would be super expensive for NO GOOD REASON.

So, know that you are loved, that one day out of the year does not prove or disprove that fact.  May you have an amazing day, today and every day!


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for reminding me that today is our colleague's Diane's and her wonderful husband Chuck's anniversary. 22 years. Man. I remember it was pouring rain the day of their wedding and I was sick - but I made it - although not much at the reception. For years I used to tease her that I ruined a beautiful pair of black Italian loafers by stepping into a puddle. She was such a lovely bride. Happy Valentine's Day to you and Chris. You lucky woman!
    Tom

    ReplyDelete

Comment Away, but please be respectful!