Monday, October 8, 2012

Columbus Day

I had the luxury of not having to get up at O-Dark -hundred this morning.  It's one of those weird City Holidays that isn't really about anything.  At least it doesn't mean anything to me. It's the day we remember and celebrate the fiction that Christopher Columbus "discovered" the "New World"  uh-huh.  The fact that he encountered PEOPLE there when he got there?   We can just overlook  that little detail.  We ALL know North America didn't even exist until some Italian guy stuck his foot on it.  So Happy "I don't have to go to work today" Day. I wonder why we celebrate "Columbus Day" at all?

Still it was kind of weird to send my husband off to work while I stayed home. I felt like a 1950's housewife, sending him out the door with a lunch I had packed for him.  Usually I am out the door around the time he is easing into his day. I have a usual routine and in our small place, it's best to stay out of my way while I get myself ready for work.  Today, I plan to do things I should have done this weekend.  I was still a bit asthmatic and slept a lot.  I have granola to make and cupcakes to bake and I need to get that going before it gets too hot in the house.

I'd better get to it!

1 comment:

Comment Away, but please be respectful!