Monday, October 15, 2012

Extended Hours

If you live in Los Angeles, you should know that today begins longer operating hours at the library.  we will be open until 8 four nights a week and all day on Fridays now.  Due to a series of unforeseen problems, we DON'T have the permanent people in place yet and our folks will do what they always do- make do!  I am hopeful that the staffing level situation will be resolved quickly, as it puts quite a strain on our regular people.  I had a disturbing conversation though with a person who works on my floor.  THIS person, I MUST point out, is NOT in a position of authority ( thankfully).  This person said  that they were not concerned with the staffing issue, as THEIR office was fully staffed and as such the problem did not effect them.  WHAT?  This person obvious fails to understand that we all work for the same department and what impacts a part of the staff eventually impacts us all.  I found this person's callous disregard for their fellow employees to be the most distressing of all.  Now, I know that to some people a job is a job and you show up, do your thing, and get a paycheck.  I don't get that.  You work alongside other human beings and you don't care about them?  I guess I was raised differently.  Maybe it makes me "weak" in the eyes of those whose only motivation is a larger paycheck.  If I wanted more money, I probably would not be doing what I do.  I enjoy my job.  I think the Library makes a difference in peoples lives.  I like my co-workers ( for the most part, as you will always find one  or two people in a group this size that you can only tolerate).
So think a good thought today.  Drop by your local library and tell them how glad you are that they are there.  I just hope the lights don't turn off at 6 pm!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Away, but please be respectful!